Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A&TC 442 Gets Ditch Lights for Movie

Date: 12/03/01 17:48
A&TC 442 Gets Ditch Lights for Movie
Author: powerbraker1

Since we only run 20 mph on our track, we don't have to have ditch lights or a Mars light. However, our RSD15 Alco is going to be in a movie, and they requested ditch lights, so we acquired these for the movie. We may even keep'em on!

Bob Currie
Austin & Texas Central RR

Date: 12/03/01 17:57
RE: A&TC 442 Gets Ditch Lights for Movie
Author: brassjournal

For safety reasons, I think they're great. Are they easily removable in order to return the loco to its original condition? Just in case someone needs a "vintage locomotive" for another movie.

And who played the part of the engineer? I remember the movie "Tough Guys". This guy named McCormack or something played the engineer and he's been typecast as an engineer ever since.

Date: 12/03/01 20:00

The portion of the movie "starring" our engine has not been filmed yet. Our volunteer crewmembers will operate the train (whoever can get time off from work most likely). Our train was the one shown in "The Newton Boys". Filming is supposed to take place at Bertram, I understand. Here is a pic of our depot there.

The ditch lights can easily be removed. I agree that they are a good safety device. I ran test locomotives for the UP when they first considered using ditch lights, and made the recommendation to install ditch lights on all UP engines. The UP was testing various combinations of warning lights, including the yellow beacons on top of the cab, Mars lights, and ditch lights. Ditch lights are by far the best, since the lights are the right height to be seen by a car on or approaching the crossing.

Bob Currie

Date: 12/03/01 20:39
Author: imrl

You've got a great looking engine and depot! Love the pics, thanks for sharing them. Hope to see more pics of other equipment you have. I'll try to post some from our little rr as soon as I get a scanner or a digital camera.

imrl
http://www.midland-ry.org/midland.html

Date: 12/03/01 21:51
Author: KennethCotton

I heard about the movie last week when I ran....hope I get called for it! I was firing in the "Newton Boys" movie,so maybe I'll get lucky and run for this one!

Date: 12/03/01 23:38
Oh, Bob...
Author: topper

<Re: Photo>

So how come ya drove your white Chevy Suburban into the left corner of the front wind sheet?

Date: 12/04/01 06:17
RE: A&amp;TC 442 Gets Ditch Lights for Movie

Kenneth, I hope you get to star in the movie. I can't get away from the hospital on weekdays (unless I take a V day). I have already been the engineer in a Jerry Reed movie back in the 70s, and I was a brakeman on the train that Paul Newman hopped.

As far as the Chevy "Suburban"- that's no Chevy Suburban- that's my wife! -er... our highrail that is! They had just delivered bags of ice down to the coaches and were backing back down the ROW. Ross decided to go between the tree and the engine, and it was tighter than he thought. He didn't hit the engine though!

Date: 12/04/01 09:07
Author: Kurat

Ditch lights or no, that is one sweet-lookin' motor! Coaches are nifty too, with proper black roofs. Must get down yr way one day--thanks! Kurt.

Date: 12/04/01 09:52
Author: Evan_Werkema

brassjournal wrote:
>
> For safety reasons, I think they're great. Are they easily
> removable in order to return the loco to its original
> condition?

It'll take a lot more than removing ditchlights to accomplish that.
Since this unit's debute on the Santa Fe as their #842, it has gotten:

1. a new number (9842) and an extra large opening where one of the
carbody filters used to be from Santa Fe,
2. an air conditioner, nose light, and a plate over that extra
large opening from second owner Squaw Creek Coal,
3. a new number from third owner Indiana Hi-Rail (442),
4. black widow paint from fifth owner A&TC

Personally, the unit does look pretty sweet in black widow, and it
might as well have ditchlights.

Date: 12/04/01 10:23

WEll,I hope so! I'd like to "excercise" the chimes on camera! Might be fun!

Date: 12/04/01 10:28

Thanks Kurt!
when we get 786 up and running,there are plans for a pretty good blowout celebrating its return to service. Come on down,we are going to have a blast! Now if I can just wash all this grease off me.....

Date: 12/04/01 15:35
Author: dash-9

Bob,

When you sent this image to me you did not tell me "Chops" the wonder gator was going to be a movie star. Will 8 X 10 glossies be available in the lobby as you are leaving the theater?

Doug Forness

Date: 12/04/01 16:46
Kenneth and the 786

Kenneth, I know you prefer the steam. I will be working on the steam engine repair crew 12/15. I hope to see you then. Good luck on starring in the upcoming movie!

Here's your favorite shot of you and the 786.

Bob Currie

Date: 12/04/01 16:47

Doug,

I don't even know what movie the engine is going to be in. I hope it's not one of those crash and bash movies. I have rules classes this weekend, and I will try to find out.

Bob Currie

Date: 12/04/01 19:02
RE: Kenneth and the 786
Author: Evan_Werkema

Does the A&TC actively solicit movie/photo shoots, or do they fall
into your lap? A couple of days ago, I was rummaging through the
used CD's at a local record store and came across a 1996 album called
Jackpot by The Derailers. There was SP 786 staring back at me.

Date: 12/04/01 22:40

Evan,

I would suspect that our marketing director is actively soliciting movie shots. We got $40,000 for the Newton Boys. I know I would be!

Bob Currie

Date: 12/06/01 14:51

Bob:
thanks! I'll be running that day,but I'm ready to gst all grewasy in Janurary!

Date: 12/06/01 14:52

many times they come to us.but we actively solicit them as best we can. Wish we had some more of them,but we will in time get our share!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0666 seconds