Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > "re: Idea for a new area on this website.."

Date: 10/28/05 06:26
"re: Idea for a new area on this website.."
Author: hammer

Hello all,
I was thinking this morning while navagating through this site, what could make train-orders better?
I was thinking of a "Best of Trainorders" area, which could include the "runaway flatcar", "Amtrak on the Pass" and other videos, threads, pics and the like.
Maybe we could have a quarterly or bi-yearly contest to vote for a "Best of Trainorders" nomination.
It sounds like a good idea to me cause some of the pics, videos and threads are hard to find sometimes.
Your thoughts......????
TheHammer
Mark

Date: 10/28/05 08:42
Re:
Author: webmaster

It is a good idea and something I have been pondering for the past year. The idea is to modify the home page news area into a "What's new" type of section each day targeting interesting video clips, other web sites, news items, postings, and postings from yesteryear.

Right now my programming staff is building the new video sharing area which is turning out to be a huge project in terms of time and resources. Once that is complete the plan is to have the team come up with a new layout and template for the home page that will be more efficient at laying out content than the current layout allows. I wrote the current template back in 2000 over a period of a month. I never intended for it to be around this long. It worked well so there was no incentive to modify it. Now, I have bigger plans so the incentive is there to modify it.

I am watching to see how our growth carries on over the next six months. Since switching to the subscription model back in 2003 we have witnessed a steady 25% growth rate and it is still continuing. Back in June I made a prediction we would be at 3300 premium members November 1 and we are currently at 3272. We are very close to the goal. The reason why growth is important is I budget expenses based on our paid membership base. As we grow, more will be spent on features. One thing is for certain, Trainorders will never be built out.

Todd Clark
Trainorders.com

Date: 10/28/05 11:19
Re: Re:
Author: ecm

I would like to see a "generic" area that would include articles that apply to all or most of the current catergories - railroading in general. It would include things, for example, about operations, employment, railfan gear, the photo contests, etc.

Date: 10/29/05 07:25
Re: Header phrases
Author: Yarddogh

I would like to see guys use more generic 'headers' such as; Photo: Canon sensors . . . . e.g., one which would give a quick clue to content for browsers in the various forums for folks who don't have the time or interest to scan every post. I'm sure I pass a lot of worthy posts because ' the header ' is poorly phrased and gives no clue as to content.

Date: 10/29/05 16:30
Author: Castle_Romeo

I'd like to see a "Canada & Mexico" area added to the discussion area since there are a lot of posts that have to do with Canada & Mexico. Most people just don't post topics that pertain to Canada or Mexico in the "International" section for whatever reason and end up posting them in either the "Western", "Eastern", "Amtrak" or "Nostalgia & History" sections.

Just a thought.

Date: 10/29/05 17:08
Author: AC4400CWGEVO

Because Canada and Mexico are part of North America
easy as that.

Also most of Mexico area is on the western side of the
US and then Canada shares both sides so the people take
a close side as reference and write down the post.

Not only the US is North America either western or
eastern forum.

Ac4400cwgevo

Castle_Romeo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to see a "Canada & Mexico" area added
> to the discussion area since there are a lot of
> posts that have to do with Canada & Mexico.
> Most people just don't post topics that pertain to
> Canada or Mexico in the "International" section
> for whatever reason and end up posting them in
> either the "Western", "Eastern", "Amtrak" or
> "Nostalgia & History" sections.
>
> Just a thought.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds