Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Dave Burton & Tenn Pass

Date: 11/04/05 18:26
Dave Burton & Tenn Pass
Author: geomel1

Thinking about meeting Dave Burton on a whirlwind trip out west in 1996; here is Dave (center) with Don Marson (left), then living in CA and Bill Linley of Halifax (right). Waiting here at Wellsville, we concluded two days together on Tenn Pass, with Don and Dave heading West and Bill and I back to Denver. Oh, the train we were waiting on didn't show!
George Melvin

Date: 11/04/05 18:34
Re: Dave Burton & Tenn Pass

Here's is a shot from each day of the trip. Flew into Denver and drove late to Trinidad; slept too little then off to the Raton line at dawn. Caught this LJAQ at the north switch at Ojita, slowing for a meet with BADV hauling in the south end. Sorry about the dirt on these...

Date: 11/04/05 18:40

Spent day on Raton line then south to Moriarty for another "motel nap", at Mountainair at daybreak and found eastbounds, including this one, running bumper to bumper out of Abo....

Date: 11/04/05 18:50

After doing Abo through from the east end to the first bridge on the Belen end (Bridge 1-?) and leaving Bill in the canyon about 3PM and beating it out to Mountainair for gas before the station closed (at 5PM) we headed north and drove way too late, back to Trinidad...next morning, bagged three BNs including this one on our way to the Royal Gorge Line...

Date: 11/04/05 18:57

Got one train that evening then stayed at Salida (I think-pretty tired by then!). In the morning, effected a rendevous with Don and Dave at Bueno Vista where an eastbound AC powered coal load screamed by! Followed this ASRVM up to the summit tunnel; nice to see some water in the Arkansas River..

Date: 11/04/05 19:03

All four of us stayed at Leadville that night-actually got six hours sleep! Next morning, ran into Scott Snell and a freind at Malta, making six of us waiting for an westbound to come up the meadow. Spent that day up and down the Pass shooting the ACs, including a lot of dirty helper duty units. Got this KCOAF, he had SOO 6016 trailing....

Date: 11/04/05 19:08

Headed to Pueblo for that night and then north back to Denver and flew home, grabbing this train 262 in the classic Joint Line spot. Bill dropped me to fly east and he continued on to Montana...there you have it; my railfan trip with our departed freind Dave Burton!
To quote my favorite folk artist, David Mallett, "Sometimes, life seems like just a long goodbye"...

Date: 11/05/05 08:23
Author: dan

looking good, sounds like a whirlwind

Date: 11/05/05 11:35
Author: T10Xpress-N

Thanks for posting this wonderful shot!
Regards,
Carin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds