Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > in the spirit of the Cajon Pass B.S.&H.S. annual Thanks

Date: 11/24/05 11:56
in the spirit of the Cajon Pass B.S.&H.S. annual Thanks
Author: anaheim-al

I'll be up on Cajon on Saturday Nov 26th for a day (sunrise to sunset) of B.S. and train watching much like the event I attended several years back with the likes of da'Mayor of Cajon, Doc Jones, CBQ-John, SouthlandWarrior, karldotcom, and all those other great names from years gone by that now escape me...

Not sure what happened to Doc, but I still keep in touch with Al and John via the US Mail. You guys still lurking about here ?? (I know where to find the Burbank boys, wink-wink.)

-al . . o O (enjoying the smells of Thanksgiving...)

~ ~~

jeff from costa mesa, california
http://www.theimagegateway.com

~ ~ ~

another token image from Cajon at Silverwood:

Date: 11/24/05 14:53
Re: in the spirit of the Cajon Pass B.S.&H.S. annual Th
Author: BarstowRick

In the spirit of the organizer, originator and elected honorary mayor of Cajon, Al Bowen. We need to revive this event. I was able to attend the event once. Duty called and I some how pulled working the Thanksgiving holidays and weekend.

I enjoyed the camaraderie and meeting Dave Dodds, Tony Burzio, Stan Kistler, Stivimac, Doc Jones, Al Bowen and the wise craking bunch of cronies that hung around, drinking brewskies. Chard Walker an old friend and I had a good time renewing an old acquaintance.

Time has brought changes to Cajon Pass. The paint schemes of the railroads making the pull over the pass has changed. Occasionally, a train goes thru to remind us of the good old days. One thing that hasn't changed is the pass itself. However, with a third BNSF track, now being built over Cajon, the pass will be altered...slightly. The future for Cajon, can only be good including all the fun railfanning.

RickH

Date: 11/24/05 17:56
Re: in the spirit of the Cajon Pass Railfan, Historical
Author: burlingtonjohn

Rcvd an email from Chard Walker today ... he was at Gary's house. Truly made my day.

Those weekends were fun. Hanging out with fellow fans trackside with no rules ('cept safety first), no attitudes, just trains.

Learning and listening to the masters: Chard Walker, Stan Kistler, Don Sims .... imagine where we would be today if they had the attitude about railfanning that some of us do today (all this pumpkin or yellow stuff is crap, we ain't shootin).

Throw in the usual suspects ... Al Bowen, Gary Gray, Doc Jones, Anaheim Al, the Phantom of Cajon, Evan W, Stivmac, etc., and you were guaranteed fun.

Attached are a few photos from past meets ...

Regards & Happy Thanksgiving,

Burlington John
Cajon Pass Ralfan, Historical & B.S. Society

Date: 11/24/05 17:59

Chard shooting a westbound at Cajon Station.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 11/24/05 18:03

Walker, Kistler, Sims. Doesn't get much better than that.

Regards,
Burlington John

PS - Wasn't able to get the Mayor and Gray in the shot ... they were probably letting the air out of my tires ....

Date: 11/24/05 18:07

The weather was really lousy, so we ended up at Chard Walker's home where he treated us to a two tray slide show of mostly late 40s, early 50s shots around the pass.

Talk about a treat ... hearing Chard talking about steam helping the Super Chief over the pass then seeing the photos, doesn't get much better than that.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 11/24/05 18:54
Author: SantaFe4644

I chased the train that Anaheim Al shot from Devore to Summit. It got to Summit at 8:32 on 11/24/05 and passed a UP stack train heading West.
Santa Fe 4644 out

Date: 11/22/12 23:49
Author: DonWinslow

Well, those were some good days. John, ya even got the edge of my 78 Bronco in that first shot with Chard. Still talk with The Mayor occasionally, Doc and Stan are still around and I chat with them quite frequently. Stan and I have been friends for over 50 years and Gray sends me e-mails almost every day so most of that group is still lurking around. This post brought back some great memories.

Don Winslow
Glendora, CA
http://www.donwinslow.net/Railroads

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds