Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Trackwork - San Jose, CA.

Date: 12/11/05 22:34
UP Trackwork - San Jose, CA.
Author: fjc

Well the UP road show has packed up and left dodge, that being their TRT gang finishing the track work in San Jose, CA. I must say with all their equipment they showed up with, it was a pretty impressive show of force, but for such a small stretch of track one has to wonder if it was worth the time. While it looked like a big mess during the work days, after looking at the finished product today, it looks nice and neat like a modeler just finished ballasting his track on their home model rr layout.

Here's the F40 used on the TRT-909 machine, a member of the work train crew rides the shove as they head south on the #1 main at San Jose.

Date: 12/11/05 22:35

Here's some of the TRT machine as it's being shoved up the #1.

Date: 12/11/05 22:36

UP work extra with a SD40-2 and a SD60M for power, check out the air plane in the shot, happens quite a bit around San Jose catching a jet in the shot.

Date: 12/11/05 22:37

Here's an excavator that's set up with RR wheels and is towing a little gondola for fill material.

Date: 12/11/05 22:38

Some of the new track at CP Julian, understand from what I was told by one UP employee the rail is 141 lbs per yard.

Date: 12/11/05 22:39

Here's another gang down by College Park at CP Stockton working on the #1 and drill track for Newhall Yard.

Date: 12/11/05 22:39

More equipment.

Date: 12/11/05 22:41

Shots of the flat cars used in conjunction with the TRT machine, this is a newer car or rebuilt compared to some of the others.

Date: 12/11/05 22:42

Another car, different style flat.

Date: 12/11/05 22:44

Some shots of when the TRT-909 showed up, being shoved onto the north leg of the wye at College Park.

Date: 12/11/05 22:44

Date: 12/11/05 22:45

Date: 12/12/05 00:03
Re: UP Trackwork - San Jose, CA.
Author: gobbl3gook

The concrete tie train with the Harsco unit came through here 2 nights ago, the rest of the stuff came through tonight. See my post about 5 above this one, "monster work train on the Cal-P"

Thanks for sharing the pics,

Ted in Davis

Date: 12/12/05 02:10
Author: espeeboy

fjc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> check out the air plane in the shot, happens quite
> a bit around San Jose catching a jet in the shot.

hey Frank, don't get Silagi excited now...

Date: 12/12/05 12:18
Author: ProAmtrak

Wonder if UP's gonna do this through the whole coastline! I doubt it the way their managemnt is!

Date: 12/12/05 14:21
Author: brianbergtold

I can't imagine there would be much incentive to put concrete ties on the rest of the Coast except for some tricky curves like between Sargent and Logan, etc.

Date: 12/12/05 18:30
Author: PasadenaSub

Great shots, Frank. You managed to get the HP Pavilion aka Compaq Center aka 'Shark Tank' in the background. I took in a Sharks game when I was in town last Tuesday night (even though I'm an Anaheim Ducks fan at heart). I have to say I've never seen a more enthusiastic bunch of hockey fans anywhere.

Did they finish up the work on the track closest to the depot at Diridon? Last week, the ballast looked pretty bare through there.

Thanks for posting these, very interesting operation.

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0665 seconds