Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP boxcars with ARMN reporting marks

Date: 12/20/05 18:47
UP boxcars with ARMN reporting marks
Author: MRL_F45

Hey guys,

I've been seeing a lot of UP reefers come through here in my home town (Cincinnati, Ohio) for the last several months bearing ARMN reporting marks. The cars are white with black lettering and carry the UP shield with "Building America" slogan next to it. A reporting mark search simply showed ARMN belong to UP, but I'm curious what railroad carried the ARMN reporting mark? If I'm thinking correctly wasn't it an old MP subsidiary or something like that?

Thanks for any help!

MRL_F45

Date: 12/20/05 19:39
Re: UP boxcars with ARMN reporting marks
Author: bnsfjth

Correct on the MP tie. I can't recall the meaning of the inirials, but I'm sure someone else can.

-Justin
RapidsRail.com

Date: 12/20/05 21:48
Author: truxtrax

I seem to recall that these were originally assigned to Armour Meat Co. but owned by Mopac.

Butch,,,,,,,here we go

Date: 12/20/05 21:50
Author: clem

MRL_F45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what railroad carried the ARMN reporting mark?

Read it backwards :-)

Date: 12/20/05 22:40
Author: CShaveRR

Nothing to do with Armour.

MP was a co-owner (together with Wabash, and later N&W) of the American Refrigerator Transit Company. In about 1971, the partnership was dissolved, and all of ART's refrigerator cars (at least those that had private-company reporting marks) were given fresh reporting marks that didn't end in "X". In the case of the mechanical refrigerator cars, which had been lettered RMDX, they were relettered ARMN. That was the first use of the reporting mark; it ended in the 80s when the remaining ARMN cars were relettered into a UPFE series.

The reporting mark was resurrected for the rebuilt former Fruit Growers Express mechanical reefers (now "Chilled Express" cars in the ARMN 900000-993999 series). It later spread to rebuilt UPFE and VCY cars (now in the ARMN 700000s), and has been applied to new equipment (the big cars in the 110000 and 111000 series).

Date: 12/20/05 22:57
Author: GoldenState

Here is a shot! Newark Ca.

Date: 12/21/05 09:01
Author: foamer

So much for my theory of MP Arkansas Missouri Northern.

Foamer

Date: 12/21/05 11:49
Author: RD10747

My initials are RMD---and proud to check cars with
reporting marks of--RMDX....

Date: 12/21/05 13:51
Author: gp60m122

I might be incorrect but i think a 7 is used as a substitute for the original 4?

Andy G

Date: 12/21/05 15:08
Author: CShaveRR

Andy, you are correct in most cases. The exception: VCY and UPFE 25000-series reefers are going to the ARMN 725000 series.

Date: 12/21/05 15:41
Author: csxt4617

I've also seen ARMH marks on reefer cars. Can't remember if they were
the rebuilt ones or not.

Date: 12/21/05 18:33
Author: bluesman

Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of the UP class of these new reefers.
I'd guess R-100-something? UP has not bee stenciling new equipment like was used to be done.
Thanks
Bluesman

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds