Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > San Antonio Railfanning

Date: 02/23/06 07:48
San Antonio Railfanning
Author: Traingod

I'm making a trip to San Antonio the week after next for a job interview and would like to know if they're any easy places to photograph the UP/Amtrak/Shortlines in the San Antonio area. I may only have an hour or two to spare, so, for right now, quantity over quality for this eastener...

For once, it would be nice to photograph UP engines on UP tracks, vs. UP engines on NS or CSX here in Atlanta...

Patrick

Date: 02/23/06 08:29
Re: San Antonio Railfanning
Author: SP7615

Try the Amtrak Depot in downtown San Antonio, plenty of traffic from the UP and also if you're lucky a BNSF trackage rights train.

The area is pretty safe it's within the shadow of the Alamodome and by a couple of nice restaurants. Just be safe around there and you won't be hassled unless you get on the tracks.

SP7615

Date: 02/23/06 11:12
Author: BobE

Morning light good for a visit to the big yard in Kirby, on the east side of the city. Yard runs sorta NE-SW, power can be found at fueling facilities at both ends, both accessible from public roads (FM78).

BobE

Date: 02/23/06 12:26
Author: SunsetRoute

Those places previously mentioned are some of best in the downtown area for trains, but be weary of your surroundings. Those yards are not in the best neighborhoods, if you know what I mean. Good luck!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds