Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Passenger Car rebuilders

Date: 03/21/06 10:09
Passenger Car rebuilders
Author: zephyrus

Question for you folks...

What companies are considered the tops in passenger car rebuilding right now? Specifically, for rebuilding/restoring historic cars? And where are they located.

Thanks.

Z

Date: 03/21/06 10:19
Re: Passenger Car rebuilders
Author: railtrekker

There is a company in Madison Il that uses part of the old CNW yard. Don't know the name of the company though. I don't know if they actually refurbish them but they do get the running gear and everything up to par.

Date: 03/21/06 11:39
Author: beaumonthill

You might want to post this on the "Passenger Trains board", more likely that a person with private car connections might be able to help you.

Date: 03/21/06 14:06
Author: pennsy3750

Off hand, I can think of Northern Railcar in Minneapolis and Juniata Terminal in Philadelphia.

The Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey Transportation Dep't does some impressive work when think about it, too. Not because its gorgeous, but because they take 50-year-old cars and rebuild them to something that fits their needs and stands up to 9 months on the road with the circus train.

Date: 03/21/06 16:31
Author: agent1522

I think the company in Madison is Illinois Transit Assembly. I know they are a broker, but the only rebuilds they do is on the cars they are selling. Aside from the aforementioned Northern Railcar and Juniata, there is a company in San Antonio whose name escapes me right off hand. Some of the Arizona Railway Museum members have had their cars worked on there.

Date: 03/21/06 18:46
Author: abocanyon

Tran Texas Rail in San Antonio does rebuilds (if you've got the money) and maintenance.

John

Date: 03/21/06 19:10
Author: MysticHowler

Ozark Mountain Railcars might do some.
I have been going to that site for 3 or 4 years drooling over some of the cars.
http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/
Sean Tremblay

Date: 03/21/06 20:52
Author: AmRailExc

agent1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the company in Madison is Illinois Transit
> Assembly. I know they are a broker, but the only
> rebuilds they do is on the cars they are selling.
> Aside from the aforementioned Northern Railcar and
> Juniata, there is a company in San Antonio whose
> name escapes me right off hand. Some of the
> Arizona Railway Museum members have had their cars
> worked on there.

Illinois Transit Assembly is located in Madison, IL, just 6 miles from downtown STL. I was there just the other day, and the cars they were currently working on were owned by companies/interests other than the shop. Things were quite busy, actually. If there is any interest, they can be reached at 618-451-0100 or via e-mail: illinoistransit@yahoo.com (web based e-mail was down temp.) From what I was told, there are over 200 cars on the property now, with some very unique cars hiding in the mix. There are several cars there that are for sale at any given time, all you have to do is inquire!
Illinois Transit has the capability of completing museum quality restoration work as well as full Amtrak compliant PC overhaul work.

Regards,
AmRailExc

Date: 03/21/06 21:04
Author: 1moose

zephyrus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question for you folks...
>
> What companies are considered the tops in
> passenger car rebuilding right now? Specifically,
> for rebuilding/restoring historic cars? And where
> are they located.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Z

I strongly suggest you join the Railroad Passenger Car Alliance. Educate yourself first before you go to the hobby shop and open your wallet.

Date: 03/22/06 11:52
Author: imrl

Mid America Car in KCMO works on both passenger cars and locomotives. You quite often see UP cars there and also KCS, as well as others. One word of warning, take a checkbook with deep reserves.

Ozark Mountain, I believe, is just a place to list items for sale, I don't believe they refurbish cars. If a tourist railroad, short line, or individual has equipment to sell, they list it on Ozark Mountian.

imrl

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0668 seconds