Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Santa Fe Limited is history

Date: 05/02/06 22:53
Santa Fe Limited is history
Author: bobs

The Trainorders.com trip to Santa Fe was a wonderful success. We arrived right on time at 8:15 in LAX this morning. Pickup yesterday at Lamy went very smoothly at 21 minutes to spot #3, hook us on do the air test and get going. #4 delayed us a bit as it was late and had 6 BNSF business cars on it. Santa Fe Southern was a class act all the way around, taking very good care of us. Both the private cars on this trip worked well. We even got our windows washed in ABQ in both directions!

SFS even provided some entertainment. They took us from Santa Fe to Lamy about 2 hours ahead of #3's arrival. There are a bunch of picnic benches at Lamy, so we had a picnic (lasagna!) and the conductor had brought his guitar with him. After eating, he played until it was time to get us spotted for the pickup. Talk about full service!

And the food! Donnalee outdid herself again, despite all of us telling her to take a break and come out of the kitchen.

It was fun to watch the BNSF weave us around other traffic. Going both ways they switched the SW Chief back and forth between the mains. Coming back the ATS went out on the engine so we were limited to 79 MPH instead of 90, but that didn't seem to affect the overall schedule as we arrived on time anyway.

Thanks to all who put this on, and to those who went, as we all had a great time. More pictures will be posted shortly I'm sure.

Date: 05/02/06 23:32
Re: Santa Fe Limited is history
Author: bnsfbob

bobs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Coming
> back the ATS went out on the engine so we were
> limited to 79 MPH instead of 90,

Glad to hear that you had a good trip. Limited to 79 mph on home rails - that would have been a deal breaker for me:)

Bob

Date: 05/03/06 03:05
Author: loco4501

Thanks for letting us tag along! Had a great time, maybe we can do the whole trip with you someday.
Randy and Marie in Abq.

Date: 05/03/06 07:10
Author: sunshineman

My wife and I agree that this was a first class trip in all respects. The many folks that we met were interesting, knowledgeable and entertaining which made for a pleasant passage of time. We would do it again.
Ken Hasbrouck

Date: 05/03/06 09:22
Author: drgwAZ1986

Kinda a shame though, had you been there just a month later you could have been able to ride the Cumbres and Toltec (2 hr's north of Santa Fe)

Date: 05/03/06 10:48
Author: tinprr

The Cumbres & Toltec is a great experience but the Santa Fe Limited was a very unique trip and one I would take again. Thanks to Todd, Doug, Dick and especially Donnalee for a great trip.

Date: 05/03/06 22:05
Author: drgwAZ1986

tinprr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Cumbres & Toltec is a great experience but the
> Santa Fe Limited was a very unique trip and one I
> would take again. Thanks to Todd, Doug, Dick and
> especially Donnalee for a great trip.

Well dont be afraid to take the trip out to New Mexico again to ride WELL worth it when the railroad could really use the buisness...as It's shaping up to be 2002 again...

Date: 05/03/06 22:54
Author: webmaster

I am glad to hear everyone enjoyed the trip. Next year is our 10 year anniversary for the site and I am working to come up with something even better.

Todd

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.042 seconds