Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Fullerton Happenings...

Date: 05/31/06 18:47
Fullerton Happenings...
Author: CraigM111

I'm sure others can elaborate, but I shot a few photos this afternoon of progress on the 3rd track going in between Buena Park and Basta (Fullerton, CA).

1. I was at this location no more than three weeks ago and there was a track in place to the left of the two main tracks. Note that it has been removed and graded for the new track. Also, note the new vertical supports for a cantilever signal in front of the old, Santa Fe style cantilever bridge.

2. Same place just viewing to the west. Again, note the graded area to the right where the third track will go.

3. New signals in place about 500' west of the old cantilever bridge at Basta.

Date: 05/31/06 18:50
Re: Fullerton Happenings...

4. Someone please elaborate on this. Note that in the last few weeks the foundation and vertical sections of a new cantilever signal bridge were installed while there is a triple track bridge just a few hundred feet away.

5. New signal posts looking east from Basta.

Date: 05/31/06 18:55

6. Now this really boggles my mind. I'm sure there is a great reason for this... but seriously?? This bridge cluster is a few feet from the Beach Blvd. underpass.

7. I'm guessing that these horizontal portions of signal bridges will be attached to the vertical posts in place at Basta. Photo taken at same location as #6.

8. Definitely not the first to fall, and definitely not the last...

Get your photos of the old stuff while you can!

Craig
BLMA
www.BLMAmodels.com

Date: 05/31/06 23:41
Author: n6nvr

I guess this mean they are finally going to get around to using the snap switches that have been sitting by the airport for a few years (or seems like it) now.

Date: 06/01/06 00:50
Author: SantaFeRuss

My old stomping grounds. New signals, triple track! I remember hanging out at Fullerton in the 1980's when there was a grade crossing just west of the station and the Union Pacific Anaheim branch crossed then paralleled the Santa Fe from Basta east past the station. My how things have changed over the years. For the better, it seems.

What is the train count these days for Burlington Northern Santa Fe, Amtrak, and MetroLink?

SantaFeRuss

Date: 06/01/06 07:00
Author: jdc3751

SantaFeRuss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the train count these days for Burlington
> Northern Santa Fe, Amtrak, and MetroLink?

Not sure of the exact numbers off hand, but BNSF has in the order of anywhere from 60 to 80 trains a day through Fullerton, Amtrak has 24 (including Surfliner & Southwest Chief) and Metrolink around 30 to 40 trains I believe, for a combined total of around 114 to 144 trains every weekday.

Date: 06/01/06 10:29
Author: SantaFeRuss

jdc3751 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SantaFeRuss Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What is the train count these days for
> Burlington
> > Northern Santa Fe, Amtrak, and MetroLink?
>
> Not sure of the exact numbers off hand, but BNSF
> has in the order of anywhere from 60 to 80 trains
> a day through Fullerton, Amtrak has 24 (including
> Surfliner & Southwest Chief) and Metrolink around
> 30 to 40 trains I believe, for a combined total of
> around 114 to 144 trains every weekday.

Thanks jdc3751. 114 to 144 trains a day! Must be one of the busiest mainlines in the USA and the busiest in California.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 06/01/06 11:56
Author: n6nvr

Probably closer to 90-100 but still enough to keep the standard foamer more than happy.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0648 seconds