Home Open Account Help 173 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SP 373 In Newark, CA

Date: 07/27/06 19:14
SP 373 In Newark, CA
Author: GoldenState

A big thanks to Ramosman on the headsup NorCal site for this! Untill today I had never seen an SP AC4400CW or a 90+- coal train in person. It was supposed to be into San Jose a little after 12a this morning but it was delayed worse than the Starlight! These shots were taken at about 4:30p at CP Carter in Newark.

Can someone provide me with a symbol for this train?

Thanks-Rob

Date: 07/27/06 20:04
Re: SP 373 In Newark, CA-- Loco number type style?
Author: Cal-P

Every time I see that very unique type style that SP used for loco numbers I am pleased. That seven has style!
Does any one have an idea if that style had a standard name?
Thanks,, Cal-P

Date: 07/27/06 20:32
Re: SP 373 In Newark, CA
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Amazing what a difference in geography can make for everything from weather to trains. For somebody in Colorado, it's hard to imagine that there are many, many people in the world that have never heard snow! Likewise, for a railfan in Colorado, it's hard to imagine somebody having never seen a coal train. :-)

Of course, on the flip side of the coin, I've only seen a handful of double stacks, and those have almost all been on the Overland up in Cheyenne! Nice shots, by the way.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 07/27/06 20:54
Author: 567Chant

I think the font might be Railroad Roman. (as is the adress on the curb in front of my house)
...Lorenzo

Date: 07/27/06 21:06
Author: kodachrome9319

I just heard the Dispatch talking about the coal train he has in Milpitas about 20 minutes ago.

Date: 07/27/06 21:31
Author: sfericsf

You know I'd love to live in those apartments there right by all the action, but they seem kinda ghetto and there's no way I'm commuting on 880 ever again...

Date: 07/27/06 21:38
Author: kodachrome9319

sfericsf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know I'd love to live in those apartments
> there right by all the action, but they seem kinda
> ghetto and there's no way I'm commuting on 880
> ever again...

Where'd I like to live (but my house is fine for some railfanning), would be right on the Coast Sub in San Leandro, right there by Crazy Charlie's Gas Station, great view for trains.

Date: 07/27/06 21:44
Re: SP 373 In Newark, CA - Whats in a number?
Author: ATSF100WEST

(How sad)......

Can anyone here not over the age of 40/45, tell me what MIGHT be significant about this particular unit's number as it relates to the once mighty Southern Pacific? Do NOT omit details.

If you are in or above the age group, no fair playing!

Answer should be in less than FIVE responses (Hints MIGHT come after that)......

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 07/27/06 23:48
Author: jimamtrak

Ya say "Ghetto" like it is a bad thing!!

Date: 07/28/06 01:40
Author: rzoller16

I'm willing to bet the SP heritage will be out soon. Last time the unpatched CNW's started popping up then the CNW Heritage was unveiled soon after.

Date: 07/28/06 02:30
Author: rzoller16

rzoller16 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm willing to bet the SP heritage will be out
> soon. Last time the unpatched CNW's started
> popping up then the CNW Heritage was unveiled soon
> after.

I just seen the post showing the SP heritage unveiling in Aug.

Date: 07/28/06 09:21
Author: alex14ramos

Interesting that it took the train over 15 hours to run from Roseville to where you shot it. I am guessing that they stopped it in Roseville tuesday night and had a fresh crew board the following morning.

Glad you were able to catch it!

Take Care,
Alex Ramos

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0508 seconds