Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Question for Vegas guys. Re:propane explosion

Date: 07/29/06 17:18
Question for Vegas guys. Re:propane explosion
Author: RRChuck

Has the propane explosion in NLV near Craig Road and the mandatory evacuation and the closure of I-15 stopped the U.P.from running?
rrChuck/Laughlin

Date: 07/29/06 17:24
Re: Question for Vegas guys. Re:propane explosion
Author: n6nvr

Sounds like it would have been a good excuse for stabbing the Desert Winds if they were still running. (sarcasm)

Date: 07/29/06 17:47
Author: RustyRayls

I hadn't thought of it until now, but I would imagine that, given the proximity to the RR, it was shut down until the fire was out

Date: 07/29/06 18:26
Author: RRChuck

I was curious .. . I'm stuck down here at work in Laughlin until tomorrow. The UP main along Donavan Road is within the one mile evacuation area on the local news. IF they are shut down, should be lots of trains (read: photos) tomorrow!
rrChuck

Date: 07/29/06 18:56
Author: vegasrails

Well there's no trains around here, I was working the speedway when it happened and we initially sent one of our crash trucks and a few security units in that direction. I snapped a few hand held shots, but then back to work dealing with the crowds at SCORE. For the time being it appears the tracks may be blocked for all of Wann station, but I haven't been in the area nor have i listened to DS-7 lately. But here's a quick hand held shot from last night

Date: 07/30/06 01:49
Author: NscaleMike

From what I overheard on the scanner earlier (now since fully opened), it caused problems/delays only the crews having to go through the roadblocks at the I-15

Date: 07/30/06 06:40
Author: DaveL

Sorry, to have to ask, but, could we get some useful details as to what happened, when, and where?
Las Vegas is pretty big place!
FOX News showed about 5sec of a large explosion in Las Vegas, but said no more......

DaveL...the hinterlands of NE Calif.

Date: 07/30/06 09:54
Author: vegasrails

A propane explosion of human error at propane business near Pecos and Craig roads in Northeast Las Vegas Friday evening at approximately 9 pm.. This is a mixed business and residence area. The explosion(s) consisted of propane tanks the size used for BarBQ's up to those in the 1000-6000 galleon range. with the latter being drained by the Fire Department before it blew. A mile radius evacuation was issued due to the shrapnel being thrown during each explosion which initially there were many and they did not know if they would be able to save the large tank. This evacuation reached the UP mainline cutting through Vegas at Wann station, located south of Craig road. Roughly 250 people were evac from the area. Fire was controlled around 3 pm Saturday and people were allowed back to there homes. DS-7 was quiet and the few times I was near the tracks further south I did not see or hear any action(trains). I am unaware if they stopped trains are not. Hope this answers your question. BTW this is Las Vegas Nevada, and this is the Union Pacific LA/SLC route I am talking about

Date: 07/30/06 14:49
Author: DaveL

Thanks vegasrails, you answered all my questions......curiosity is now satisfied....Thanks again!

DaveL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds