Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Film on Planes - Your Input

Date: 02/11/02 08:21
Film on Planes - Your Input
Author: cozephyr

Time to fly to California come March. Will airport inspectors do a hand check of film? Is it better to buy film at my destination, Sacramento, CA? Where in Sacramento can one buy Fuji film, either Sensia or Provia slide film?

Thanks for your input,

The CZ

Date: 02/11/02 08:30
RE: Film on Planes - Your Input
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I fly a lot and I would not chance it. At some airports
you may get around the scanner and have them hand check it,
but most now will insist on running it through the machine.
The bigger the airport, the less likely that you can get it
hand checked. Also the busier they are the less likely
you can get it hand checked. I saw a guy in Harlingen, TX
a few weeks ago ask for hand checked film and there was no one
else in line at the xray station, and they let him by-pass the machine. I think this was an exception, not the rule.

Date: 02/11/02 08:47
Author: JIL

Security absolutely refused hand inspections of camera and film at PHL and YYZ airports.

At Sacramento, try Filco for Fuji slide film.

Date: 02/11/02 08:55
Author: CShaveRR

Most camera shops sell lead-lined bags for transporting film (I don't fly, but my daughter has used a bag to carry about six disposable cameras in her luggage). If they object and open the bag up, it would be cruel and unusual punishment to do anything to damage the film after such an inspection, I'd think.

Date: 02/11/02 08:58
Author: MRSLIDES

I've flown quite a few times (Mexico, Jamaica, California, Kansas City, Chicago) since 9/11 and have requested a hand check each time. I usually carry between 100 and 200 rolls of film and if they are reluctant to do a hand check you have to insist very politely.

Date: 02/11/02 09:29
Author: NDHolmes

Whatever you do, though, don't put it through in checked baggage - the new x-ray machines for checked bag inspection are supposedly of much higher power levels and have a little sign in front of them that basically says, "Kills film dead." Maybe not quite the exact wording, but you get my point...

When I flew back from DFW last week, I had three separate people ask me about cameras and film before they zapped the checked bag. At least they warned me (not that it would have affected me - shooting digital anyway and my camera never leaves my sight... I don't really think a baggage handler needs a shiny new Canon.)

Nathan
http://www.drgw.net

Date: 02/11/02 10:18
Don't sweat it
Author: run8

You only have to worry about high speed film, like above ISO 1000. Some sources suggest you should also be concerned about 800 speed film if it is going to get more than about 5 or 6 passes through an x-ray scanner.) Slow films like Provia and Sensia can probably be passed through the carry-on x-ray scanners a dozen times before you would notice any difference. Therefore, buy the film where you think it will be least expensive, and don't worry about x-rays.

I am an elite level frequent flyer on four different airlines, so I travel regularly, and I never bother with asking for hand inspection. Some of my film (ISO 100 or less) has been on four or five trips before I have been able to use it, and I've never noticed a problem.

Ask for a hand inspection if it makes you feel better, but don't be alarmed if they insist on passing the film through the x-ray machine anyway. Also, as mentioned in the previous post, never put your film in checked baggage, as there is a real risk of damage to that film if it is passed through some types of scanners now used to examine checked luggage. (They won't use those scanners for carry-on baggage without telling you, and warning you about film damage.)

Also, the lead bags are more of a placebo than anything. The lead foil is too thin on most bags to do more than slightly reduce the x-ray exposure. They do not block it. A person on a photo newsgroup noted that he watched the x-ray monitor as his carry-on passed through the machine, and even though he packed his film in a wll-known brand of lead bags, he could easily see the outline of the film cassettes, as though the bag wasn't there. Some manufacturers claim to have extra thick lead foil in their latest bags, but I've yet to see an independent verification of their effectiveness.

Here is the Fuji FAQ on the subject:

<a href="http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/Faq.jsp?id=239184&amp;returnTo=ServiceSupport&amp;search=airport#239184&quot;&gt;Fujifilm FAQ on airport x-rays</a>

And Kodak's comments, which are much more detailed, and includes sample photos of what actually happens when film is damaged:

<a href="http://www.kodak.com/cluster/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml&quot;&gt;Kodak FAQ on airport x-rays</a>

A link to the Imaging Association's report on the subject:

<a href="http://www.i3a.org/x-ray.html&quot;&gt;Int'l Imaging Industry Assn. report</a>

And the site of a film consumer group called F-Stop (Film Safety for Traveling On Planes) with a discussion with tests they made:

<a href="http://www.f-stop.org/&quot;&gt;F-Stop.org&lt;/a&gt;

Date: 02/11/02 11:00
RE: Don't sweat it
Author: CNW6500

I was always under the impression that if you asked for a hand check in CONUS that they are suppost to provide it.

Last time I asked for a hand check (post 911) they p&m'd the whole time, but did it. Made me take all the lens caps off, open the unloaded camera bodies and show that they operated, take the film out of the unopened boxes, etc.

Its a pain in the neck, but I don't trust any x-ray device, especially one that is operated by someone that allows people to get beyond checkpoints after they have discovered exposive residue on there shoes.

Date: 02/11/02 12:51
Author: PullmanPorter

I pretty much agree with run8. On my trips from California to Europe my film, all 100 ASA or slower slide film, has been zapped a half-dozen times with no noticeable affect. While it's always good to ask for hand inspection, there are places that just aren't going to do it. But you stand a better chance at hand inspection if, as others have stated, your film is in a clear bag, with the film unboxed and in clear cannisters. The last time I did this the inspector opened a few cannisters, then passed me on. If your whole camera bag needs to be hand inspected you'll stand a greater chance of being refused.

Date: 02/11/02 12:54
Author: donner_dude1

Hey Zephyr -

Check your trainorders email box.....

Date: 02/11/02 15:26
Author: samreeves

Buy your film in Sacto, and then FedEx it home before you go on your return trip.

Date: 02/11/02 19:41
Author: clem

War story from South America, 30 years ago (before X-rays). This came from a Friend Of A Friend, FWIW.

A National Geographic photographer was travelling through customs with her usual complement of gear. One customs inspector wanted to disassemble a lens. As the photog was trying to dissuade the one officer, she looked over to see the other customs officer going through her exposed 4x5 negative holders, methodically opening each one!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0662 seconds