Home Open Account Help 167 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Utah Valley, UT rail questions

Date: 08/12/06 00:15
Utah Valley, UT rail questions
Author: atsf121

Now that we are almost settled in Utah I've been able to do some train chasing with my 2 year old son (and sometimes the rest of the family as well). I went to school at BYU and used to ride my bike to the yards in Provo but since I didn't have a car that was the extent of my travels. After being gone for 8 years I'm finding new surprises as I go exploring. So here are my questions, hopefully someone can help me learn more about trains in the Utah Valley.

The old UP line between Orem and Salt Lake appears to be active from Orem as far as Lehi. I noticed a line of tank cars in American Fork and today I spotted some cars behind the old Lehi depot.

Is this still a UP line or does Utah Railway serve this line?
What customers exist along this line and where are they? (Lehi was a surprise, but there doesn't seem to be anything there, maybe I need to get out and look a little closer)
How often does the local run and when? (I'm assuming there's only one train on this line)
Is the local coming from Provo?

There were more lines (and railroads) in the San Francisco area where I grew up but it's fun to be back and chasing trains here, especially with my oldest son. My wife thinks we live way to close to the tracks - it's a mile or so away and you can only hear the whistle when we're outside. Which is to say we're a lot closer to the tracks than we were in California. But my two year old will stop and say "I hear a train whistle" with a huge grin. So he and I are pretty happy.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Nathan

Date: 08/12/06 21:43
Re: Utah Valley, UT rail questions
Author: balryan

Nathan
The line is owned and operated by the Union Pacific not sure the name of there shipper. Utha Railway dose a lot of work in the Salt lake valley and in Ogden plus some arounded Provo UP's Provo yard should pick up some work UP has cut back some work that was done in Ogden sending the work to Salt Lake and Provo.
Ryan Ballard

Date: 08/14/06 06:22
Re: Utah Valley, UT rail questions
Author: donstrack

Nathan, take a look at this thread from September 2002:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,174750,174750#msg-174750

Scroll down to Ted's remarks at the bottom.

I haven't seen anything on how UP and UTA have worked out the details of ownership and access for the line in Utah County. The best would be for the local guys to report what they see.

Based on a review of a hybrid Google map, points of interest would be, from south to north, the crossing/connection at Lakota (south Geneva), the old Geneva trackage, the Pleasant Grove art deco underpass, the paralleling line along U.S. 89 between Pleasant Grove and American Fork, the line along 100 North in American Fork, the paralleling line along U.S. 89 between American Fork and Lehi, and the old Lehi depot at about 200 East. I assume that nothing happens on the line north of Lehi, unless UP still switches the General Refactories brick factory at Cutler. I think UP treats the line south of Lakota as a kind of double track main from there into Provo.

Don Strack
P.S. I'm impressed that the Google satellite photo shows the new Wal-Mart Super Center in Lehi. It only opened about a year ago.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds