Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sat night / Sun morning traffic on Cajon and Beaumont H

Date: 08/21/06 19:33
Sat night / Sun morning traffic on Cajon and Beaumont H
Author: RustyRayls

I have to go to Ontario on Saturday for a buiness meeting. I'm thinking of doing some evening /night / early morning photography down there before returning to Lost Wages on Sunday. How much traffic can I expect to see? Would it be worthwhile to check out West Colton? Any other advice?

Date: 08/21/06 20:32
Re: Sat night / Sun morning traffic on Cajon and Beaumo
Author: bradleymckay

If you're going to do night photography on Beaumont Hill then go to Garnet (where the Amtrak "station" is that services the Palm Springs area). Garnet is on the east side of Beaumont Hill. There is a nice old (working) SP signal bridge still standing west of the "station".

For daylight photography the west side of Beaumont Hill is best, especially the area around Fishermans Retreat (where the old SP El Casco crossovers were). Since its generally busier now than in SP days you can expect trains just about anytime. WB's tend to get bunched up...

I'll defer Cajon Pass to someone else...

AM

Date: 08/21/06 20:56
Author: tmrail

In terms of traffic volume on Beaumont Hill, I just spent a few days in Palm Desert and, over the course of roughly 14 hours spent at trackside (mostly in the cool morning hours) I saw 28 trains -- i.e., an average of one every 30 minutes. But of course they do bunch up. Of the trains I saw, about 25% were manifest, 20% domestic intermodal, and the balance doublestacks. In addition, there were several light engine movements (helpers) during the time I was there.

Tom Murray
Martinez, CA

http://tmrail.com/

Date: 08/21/06 23:40
Author: MacBeau

Came in from Palm Springs tonight, five trains between Fingal (just west of West Palm Springs) and Apex (Beaumont).
—Mac

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0272 seconds