Home Open Account Help 157 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Rana - San Bernardino Shortcut

Date: 08/30/06 23:10
Rana - San Bernardino Shortcut
Author: NdeM

What is the history behind the "short-cut" between Rana and San Bernardino on BNSF's San Bernardino Sub. It seems as though it is a handy bypass of the yard for passenger trains and through freights. Was it the original line through town, or was the longer route, turning the corner between A Yard and B Yard the original?

How is the short cut (Main 3?) used today?

Thanks,
Nate

Date: 08/30/06 23:39
Re: Rana - San Bernardino Shortcut
Author: David.Curlee

natemuhl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How is the short cut (Main 3?) used today?

Just a little correction, the shortway is actually Main 4.

I know they recently increased the speeds, but in the past, passenger trains could take the longer route through the B Yard and still save a minute in running time.

Date: 08/31/06 07:48
Author: jst3751

natemuhl Wrote:

>
>
> Thanks,
> Nate

The Main 4 is used extensivly by Metrolink OC and Riverside trains going to/from San Bernadino.

Date: 08/31/06 10:10
Author: HUSKERHERB

natemuhl Wrote:
> What is the history behind the "short-cut" between
> Rana and San Bernardino on BNSF's San Bernardino
> Sub. It seems as though it is a handy bypass of
> the yard for passenger trains and through
> freights. Was it the original line through town,
> or was the longer route, turning the corner
> between A Yard and B Yard the original?
>
>
> Thanks,
> Nate

The "short way" bypass through Rana I believe was constructed by the Union Pacific RR for passenger train movements. If anyone can confirm this or provide an historical account of its history, I'm sure it would be interesting reading.

Date: 08/31/06 10:36
Author: friscojoe

I'm not sure what the history of the "short way" is either, but would like to know also.

A trestle on the "short way," as it is known, represents restrictive clearance for cars of excessive dimension, a potential problem for freight trains with high wides. Another interesting aspect of the "short way" is the absolute signal at Rialto Street for eastward movements. It is an absolute signal in CTC, but NOT a control point or interlocking! (Try to get your head around that one...) The signal is actually a "repeater" signal for the absolute signal at the "A yard" control point. I believe it was designed to prevent (long) trains from blocking the Rialto St crossing when they do not have a clear signal at "A yard" that they cannot see at Rialto account curve track between there and "A yard". Because it is absolute signal in CTC, it requires dispatcher authority to pass it, but yet the dispatcher does not (directly) control it.

Date: 08/31/06 11:24
Author: Steamjocky

friscojoe Wrote:
> Another interesting aspect of the "short way" is the
> absolute signal at Rialto Street for eastward
> movements. It is an absolute signal in CTC, but
> NOT a control point or interlocking! (Try to get
> your head around that one...) The signal is
> actually a "repeater" signal for the absolute
> signal at the "A yard" control point. I believe it
> was designed to prevent (long) trains from
> blocking the Rialto St crossing when they do not
> have a clear signal at "A yard" that they cannot
> see at Rialto account curve track between there
> and "A yard". Because it is absolute signal in
> CTC, it requires dispatcher authority to pass it,
> but yet the dispatcher does not (directly) control
> it.

It could be referred to as a non-controlled controlled signal. We have the same thing at Baker street in Bakersfield for northbound trains leaving town. Why we have it is anybody's guess. I don't see where it is necessary to have one at Baker street. Why can't it just be a regular ABS signal? Let's try to make things easier, not more complicated.

JDE

Date: 08/31/06 14:16
Author: timz

It seems the mileposts are continuous via the short cut-- MP 1 on the short cut is supposed to be 5280 ft from MP 2 west of Rana. Also, on the longer route there's MP 1X, not MP 1.

If somebody went to Rana and took a look to see that the straightaway west of there aligns the straight on the shortcut, that would be further confirmation.

Date: 08/31/06 18:02
Author: SCAX3401

Yes, the straightaway from Rana south (that timetable west) thru the Colton Crossing is on the same tangent with the southern half of the Rana Shortcut. Based on this and the continuous mileposts, I would assume that it was the original mainline. The current mainline (Mains 1 thru 3) were most likely built to allow a yard to build on the "outskirts" of town.

Date: 09/01/06 10:25
Author: OliveHeights

friscojoe Wrote:
> I'm not sure what the history of the "short way"
> is either, but would like to know also.
>
> A trestle on the "short way," as it is known,
> represents restrictive clearance for cars of
> excessive dimension, a potential problem for
> freight trains with high wides. Another
> interesting aspect of the "short way" is the
> absolute signal at Rialto Street for eastward
> movements. It is an absolute signal in CTC, but
> NOT a control point or interlocking! (Try to get
> your head around that one...) The signal is
> actually a "repeater" signal for the absolute
> signal at the "A yard" control point. I believe it
> was designed to prevent (long) trains from
> blocking the Rialto St crossing when they do not
> have a clear signal at "A yard" that they cannot
> see at Rialto account curve track between there
> and "A yard". Because it is absolute signal in
> CTC, it requires dispatcher authority to pass it,
> but yet the dispatcher does not (directly) control
> it.

At one time there was a team track that crossed the short way between A Yard and Rialto Ave and ended as a circus ramp at the West end of the depot parking lot. To get across the short way crews had to pass a controlled signal. The A Yard control signal for trains on the short way was West of this track and might have been the signal you are talking about today. There is a picture of the dispatchers CTC machine in Chard Walkers book "Cajon Rail Passage to the Pacific" on page 250. It is circa 1985 and shows the signals for the old team track in the lower left corner of the photo.

While typing this I remembered if you go waaaay back, I think the the P.E. used to run down Rialto Ave then swing over to 3rd Street. I'm sure there was an interlocking where they crossed the short way. Makes me feel more certain your signal was the PE-A Yard interlocked control signal back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and West Yard Tower control the movements at those locations.

Date: 09/01/06 14:52
Author: mundo

The PE east-west mainline for freight and passenger did in fact cross the shortway. However it did not swing over to 3rd street. 3rd street lines were the local streetcars between San Bernardino and Colton, ending at the SP Colton station, now a lumber yard.

The main line, went on down Rialto Ave to reach Redlands.
In downtown San Bernardino, the passenger line turned north to a passenger station located, located where the Carousal mall is now.

Freight yards & carbarn were south of Rialto ave where the Baseball stadium is now. The Rialto Ave track work was a grand diamond to allow trains to go in any direction.

West of the Shortway crossing, the PE, had private right of way along side Rialto Ave.

Date: 09/01/06 16:22
Author: OliveHeights

Last time I was out that way you could still see the bridge abutments where the PE crossed over the top end of the B yard. I imagine the auto facility did away with them.

Date: 09/01/06 22:14
Author: casco17

Interesting notes. I walked this route from SB to Riverside back in '81 -- here are a couple pics. The chopped off speed limit sign read "15" and things have not changed much -- Metrolink today runs very slowly along this line also.

Date: 09/01/06 23:21
Author: mundo

The 2nd photo, looking toward the bridge, is the approx location that Metrolink, will build a new Shop building, since Taylor will be unable to handle the number of cars being delivered in 2009.

On the right hand side of this photo. Expect to get underway by the end of this year.

At some point, when money available, some double track will be placed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0682 seconds