Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Info

Date: 09/25/06 01:05
BNSF Info
Author: J_deBroux

Alright...so all you engineers and people out there that know the answer to this questions

Can BNSF Trains from Mojave heading east end up in Barstow and thus end up on the trans-con line? If so what is the cutoff name and where on the BNSF System Map is it?

correct me if I'm wrong, trains leaving LA via BNSF and then head over cajon can go north to Mojave and east to Barstow and then on to the trans-con line?

If this gives anyone reading it a headache I'm sorry!

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone that answers these questions

j

Date: 09/25/06 01:57
Re: BNSF Info
Author: BNSF9999

BNSF trains heading east from Mojave would go through Valley Jct. This area is located just east off of Hwy 58 in Barstow. It is essentially a huge "Y" as trains can also head west from Mojave towards L.A.

Mike

Date: 09/25/06 06:56
Author: RustyRayls

J_deBroux Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alright...so all you engineers and people out
> there that know the answer to this questions
>
> Can BNSF Trains from Mojave heading east end up
> in Barstow and thus end up on the trans-con line?
> If so what is the cutoff name and where on the
> BNSF System Map is it?
>
> correct me if I'm wrong, trains leaving LA via
> BNSF and then head over cajon can go north to
> Mojave and east to Barstow and then on to the
> trans-con line?
>
> BNSF trains leaving LA go east to San Bernardino (San Bernardino Sub), over Cajon to Barstow (Cajon Sub). Then they either go east on the Trans-Con (Needles Sub) or west (Mojave Sub) to Mojave to go north over Tehachapi through Bakersfield and up the Central Valley to points north.
>
>
> j

Date: 09/25/06 08:19
Author: StanLytle

J_deBroux Wrote:
> Alright...so all you engineers and people out
> there that know the answer to this questions
>
> Can BNSF Trains from Mojave heading east end up
> in Barstow and thus end up on the trans-con line?
> If so what is the cutoff name and where on the
> BNSF System Map is it?
>
> correct me if I'm wrong, trains leaving LA via
> BNSF and then head over cajon can go north to
> Mojave and east to Barstow and then on to the
> trans-con line?

Go to Google, click on maps, then type in Mojave, CA and click on search maps. The line running east under hwy 58 is the BNSF line from Mojave to Barstow. You can follow it east to Barstow using the right arrow and down arrow. When up get to Barstow, the line running southwest is the line to LA. You can follow it down to Cajon.

WARNING: Virtual railfanning using Google Maps may be habit forming.

Stan

Date: 09/25/06 12:26
Author: 72368

A train running from La to Mojave via Lancaster cannot "turn right" at Mojave and go to Barstow as there is no track to allow it. The few times Amtrak has detoured No. 3 via Mojave has required the engines to run around the train at Mojave and pull the train backwards to LA. That won't work if there are any reefers on the rear of the train as they do not have HEP wiring..

TIOGA PASS

Date: 09/25/06 14:33
Author: RustyRayls

LA to Mojave is a UP line. BNSF does not have trackage rights. If BNSF had problems on the Cajon or Mojave Subs, I believe that they have the means to detour northbound central valley trains on UP from Colton to Mohave via the Palmdale cutoff (UP Mojave Sub). Maybe someone can confirm this.

Date: 09/25/06 19:16
Author: xsphogger

I believe the line from LA to Palmdale is owned and operated by Metrolink with UP having trackage rights. From Palmdale to Mojave it belongs to UP with Metrolink having a parallel line from Palmdale to Lancaster. They should have built a North to East connection at Mojave years ago!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0953 seconds