Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF #1371

Date: 09/24/06 23:41
BNSF #1371
Author: xtra1188w

I took this picture by shooting between the bars of a fence that is on the station grounds of the former AT&SF passenger station that's just across the tracks from the BNSF loco terminal in Temple Texas. I'd imagine that GP9m #1371 is just used on locals and/or switching service around Temple for the past several years, but it seems to have been spotted somewhere less secure than where it is in this picture for taggers to have been able to repaint its long hood. Notice the low short hood, it's got BNSF painted on its sides. This is the first time that I've seen the BNSF initials in this location, do other units have reporting marks at that location as well? Ain't that a GP38-2 sitting in front & to the right of the 1371? It doesn't have BNSF on the flanks of its low nose.

Con

Date: 09/25/06 00:37
Re: BNSF #1371
Author: Evan_Werkema

xtra1188w Wrote:

> Notice the low short
> hood, it's got BNSF painted on its sides. This is
> the first time that I've seen the BNSF initials in
> this location, do other units have reporting marks
> at that location as well?

Some other units do, mostly chopnosed GP7's and 9's like 1371. The louvers on the battery box doors of those units make it harder to put the letter stickers there.

> Ain't that a GP38-2
> sitting in front & to the right of the 1371?

Close. 2223 is a plain vanilla GP38 built in 1970 as ATSF 3534. The 1371 is a GP7, built in 1952 as ATSF 2775. Fifty four years...yeah, that's probably enough seniority to "own" a cushy local job. ;^)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.038 seconds