Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Third Main Track thru Bailey Yard, North Platte

Date: 10/02/06 06:47
Third Main Track thru Bailey Yard, North Platte
Author: schmo

I saw an AP article last week about improvements UP is making to Bailey Yard in North Platte to reduce dwell time, i.e., to help increase average train velocity on the RR.

One of the improvements mentioned was adding a third main track through the yard--this one right through the middle of it. The cost to add the third main was given as $25 million. It was scheduled to be put in service next month.

Has anyone else heard about this new main, or seen work in the yard to construct it?

--Steve Schmollinger

Date: 10/02/06 12:06
Re: Third Main Track thru Bailey Yard, North Platte
Author: billio

UP's 2006 letter to the STB regarding its preparations to ensure a smooth fall peak shipping season states, in part "...We are installing three additional run-through tracks in North Platte dedicated to servicing and fueling coal trains..." This is one of a grab bag of projects listed under "Powder River Basin and Other Coal Projects."

Date: 10/02/06 12:56

Hmmm. Sounds like this third main I heard about might be in addition to the coal-dedicated mains. Wow! What a time this is for the Class Is!!!

Date: 10/02/06 15:35
Author: sfericsf

This article was in today's Sacramento Bee...

Date: 10/02/06 17:12
Author: Waybiller

Went through North Platte eastbound about a week and a half ago, and work on the third main was pretty well along. It will be a #3 main, so south of the existing mainline.

In a related note, anybody know the history of the French signage on the flyover? I forget what they say, but it was something slightly nonsensical, as I remember. They appeared to be enameled metal and looked like they had been there for more than a few years.

Date: 10/02/06 19:47

sfericsf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This article was in today's Sacramento Bee...

Would love to read it.

--Schmo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds