Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tacoma Rail Growth spurt

Date: 10/01/06 23:11
Tacoma Rail Growth spurt
Author: DelMonteX

Don't know if this common knowledge and I had intended on posting earlier. From a seemingly knowledgeable source, it appears likely that if not Monday (10/2) than sometime later in October, Tacoma Rail will take over operations in the UP's Fife yard. This is supposed to include the two local jobs. So expect to see Red and White Geeps working the Simpson job there real soon.

The whole change could prove pretty interesting, especially considering the second part of this. Which is that sometime around the first of the new year, Tacoma Rail will be taking over operations at the BNSF Tacoma yard. This has been in discussions for sometime now and the city of Tacoma already owns large portions of the BNSF yard.

I know most of the local BNSF crews are not happy about this, but I haven't heard the UP crews take, especially since the UP part came as a surprise to me.

Steve Carter

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 10/02/06 07:20
Re: Tacoma Rail Growth spurt
Author: StanLytle

I read in the Trib some time ago that all of the parties involved had finally come to an agreement. But I don't recall seeing anything after that, that mentioned any dates. Thanks for the update.

Stan

Date: 10/02/06 09:23
Author: Macster

If you drive by the Tacoma Rail yard office, you will now see Union Pacific locomotives that are being serviced and such. The take over will happen next month for Union Pacific's Fife Yard followed by BNSF Tacoma Yard in early 2007. Tacoma Rail will also be taking grain empties only from Tacoma to Auburn in a trackage rights agreement as part of the yard takeover.

From what I understand however that Tacoma Rail will use UP locomotives as normal but if that means the remotes is unclear, TR is also expected to get 10 more GP units to cover the takeover in late 2007. This was all told to me during the Tacoma Rail Open House.

Brian

Date: 10/02/06 13:14
Author: NPRY1960

interesting development for sure. there has been some discussion that bnsf may run some seattle traffic on the uprr out of fife. anybody have some info on this?

Date: 10/02/06 17:07

NPRY1960 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> interesting development for sure. there has been
> some discussion that bnsf may run some seattle
> traffic on the uprr out of fife. anybody have some
> info on this?

I heard the same from a BNSF engineer, who also told me of the UP running trains out of the Muni yard, across the "hill" bridge and through the BNSF Yard. That's been SOP for a couple of months now. But I haven't been witness to a BSNF train leaving the Muni yard north on the UP.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 10/02/06 17:22
Author: SD9E

UP has rights over BN from Tacoma Yard through Bullfrog to Muni Yard. Most intermodal can land without backing through Fife.
Muni only services UP power assigned to intermodal trains that originate from muni yard. Muni does NOT service any other UP power (at this point).

Date: 10/02/06 17:52

>
> From what I understand however that Tacoma Rail
> will use UP locomotives as normal but if that
> means the remotes is unclear, TR is also expected
> to get 10 more GP units to cover the takeover in
> late 2007. This was all told to me during the
> Tacoma Rail Open House.
>
I have to ask, where is the Muni suppose to be getting power? The UP? That's almost certainly OUT of the question. UP Seattle is power hungry at best. The bad thing is power is an extremely rare commidity on the Seattle Sub. It's true, UP runs trains, but sometimes has to hold trains for power. Switch jobs with RCL and the locals are also power hungry.

Who would certify the muni to operate RCL's? I don't think they have anyone DSRCO qualified.

Date: 10/02/06 21:07

My observations seem to indicate they have power frequently sitting in the yard. It would appear they could handle the two local jobs with what they have. Or maybe some rentawrecks will show up shortly.

It maybe manpower they are short of.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 10/03/06 03:06

Good observation, but a lot of times when one observers power, there is another side of the story yet untold. Often, power sitting there is bad order or dead on FRA.

As a side note, there are more than two RCL jobs based out of Fife. In fact, there can be as many as four RCL jobs in 1 day, plus two locals that head north.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0582 seconds