Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > ATSF Lake Elsinore Line in CA??

Date: 10/18/06 06:47
ATSF Lake Elsinore Line in CA??
Author: bnsftim

When did operations cease?? The line started out of Corona CA.

Date: 10/18/06 07:36
Re: ATSF Lake Elsinore Line in CA??
Author: srlerxst

USGS Corona South topo map, 1982

The branch line was abandoned in October, 1981, although I think the last train to Elsinore (or as far as Weisel or Alberhill) was probably in 1978. The track was taken up in 1985, except the 3-M spur. Does anyone have any first hand information about this? (KevO, mundo, etc.?)

In 1980, I remember the track past Magnolia Ave. in Corona (at the old landfill) was covered over with dirt and gated into a heavy equipment yard. I always thought the track was just an old spur and I never did realize until years later that was actually the Elsinore branch.

Date: 10/18/06 08:00
Author: StStephen

Date: 10/18/06 08:47
Author: TomPlatten

The Elsonore line passed into limbo in the early 1980's before major development began along the I-15 which paralleled the line for much of the way. I am sure the Riverside County Transportation Commission is kicking itself in the but for letting this line go now with all the daily gridlock on the freeway! No Metrolink here! Fortunately they acted in time to secure the ATSF/ San Jac branch which will eventually be Metrolinked!

Date: 10/18/06 16:00
Author: srlerxst

In my observation back in 1980 it was very obvious to me that no trains were using the track past Magnolia Ave. I was there a couple of years ago, and although it took me a while to recognize the area, it seemed to me the spur still ends there at the old Manville plant, and the landfill had long been closed as well.

So I keep wondering how are trains still serving the 3-M plant on the 3.5-mile spur everyone keeps talking about, when there is no track there? Does anyone have any recent or even old photos? Thanks in advance.

Date: 10/18/06 21:24
Author: rehunn

It would be interesting if someone had the info on the last few years. I think I've got a
picture of the last movement into Elsinore (it's a hi-railer) and it was just before the
last washout. I need to find the slide and check the date. The branch at one time seemed
to be saved by a plastic pipe plant in Elsinore but that didn't last long and one of the
washouts pretty much sank that. There was ballast out of Alberhill for a while plus they
unloaded LPG south of the 3M plant on and off. It's too bad it wasn't saved.

Date: 10/18/06 22:35
Author: jhouchen

Just follow the Corona local up to 3M. They go up there usually everyday. There are A few cement plants along the way and go over A nice bridge. They usually run an 'extra' local on Saturdays up to 3M. Just look for the power at Radio Rd. to see if they are working and follow the tracks south of the main line.

Date: 10/22/06 21:52
Author: mundo

Where the Elsinore line crosses Magnolia Ave on way to 3-m plant,
an lead track went off to the west, going up where the land fill now.
Ontario.
This was know as the "High Line", was very steep. It went up to several fruit packing houses, at least one quarry, two spurs for smudge oil.

The oil storage was south of Ontario Ave, east of Main Street,
the other was at northside of Ontario, east of the present I-15.

Trackage to the Main street oil spur went on west down Ontario ave, for a couple miles or more. On the west end it went through the land that the Corona Fire Station One is located.

Southside of Ontario ave, west of I-15 is a remaining packing house that had rail service. Then the track went straight south of Ontario Ave, to Chase ave, service at least two packing houses. You may still still see rail next to a house on Chase, if its not torn down.

Portions of the line, was cut back over many years. West of Ontario Ave, around 1940. Hollywood made a movie using steam also about 1940.

To packing houses at Ontario and Chase, along with the oil spurs, were still in service mid 1950's. At this point, I moved away from Corona
and do not know when the remainder of this line

A side note, the Quarry west of the present 3-M plant east of I-15, had several spur track and was a proposed site for the Orange Empire Railway Museum, now at Perris.

On the posted Typo map, you can see a portion of the right of way, west of the present I-15.

RCTC is sorry it did not keep this right of way, for Metrolink, however, a review is now being worked on the possible future commute service many years from now. Could be a costly project.

I have never found an Employee timetable that showed any of the High Line, and my collection goes back to the mid 1930's

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0393 seconds