Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Dynamic Duo Push & Pull The Operation Lifesaver

Date: 10/26/06 16:04
A Dynamic Duo Push & Pull The Operation Lifesaver
Author: GrandeGold

I took some time off today to catch the SP and the D&RGW Heritage SD70ACe units working together on an Operation Lifesaver special. The SPVSC arrived at American Fork for it's call to duty at 7:30 a.m. The first image catches Amtrak #6 breezing by at 70 mph while the SPVSC is loaded with lots of local law enforcement personnel. The second shot catches the 1989 headed west at sunrise into the small town of Lehi. Third image (taken about two hours later) catches the beautiful 1996 headed south through Lehi City...

Date: 10/26/06 16:18
Re: A Dynamic Duo Push & Pull The Operation Lifesaver
Author: skyview

Nice images... any idea of additional trips and schedule?

Date: 10/26/06 16:19

A few more images of what ended up being like catching fish in a bowl!

UP 1996 heads east at Storrs Avenue in American Fork on it's fifth turn between the cities of Lehi & "AF". The second and third shots are all about the frustration of the photographer vs. the photo cloud. Well, the cloud won! Anyhow the duo are headed north through the Jordan Narrows toward the Salt Lake Valley to do Operation Lifesaver moves between Riverton and Midvale for the city of South Jordan.

It was lots of fun this morning watching the clean new "aces" working together for the first time.

James

Date: 10/26/06 16:20

Friday they head west to the new intermodal hub at 56th West and north to Woods Cross. Saturday they head south from SLC to Provo...

Date: 10/26/06 18:08
Author: espeeboy

Good stuff Sir James! Glad to see someone finally post photos of this duo on the OLD train. I have been tracing them each day wondering how many slow speed photo opps exist along the route. Love the photo #3 in first post and photo #3 again in the second post! Looks like you got a little lucky with that last one with the sun coming through a "suckerhole" for ya!

-Ryan aka "espeeboy"
on the ex-WP Oakland Sub MP11.2

GrandeGold Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A few more images of what ended up being like
> catching fish in a bowl!
>
> UP 1996 heads east at Storrs Avenue in American
> Fork on it's fifth turn between the cities of Lehi
> & "AF". The second and third shots are all about
> the frustration of the photographer vs. the photo
> cloud. Well, the cloud won! Anyhow the duo are
> headed north through the Jordan Narrows toward the
> Salt Lake Valley to do Operation Lifesaver moves
> between Riverton and Midvale for the city of South
> Jordan.
>
> It was lots of fun this morning watching the clean
> new "aces" working together for the first time.
>
> James

Date: 10/26/06 18:46
Author: nikon1

Any idea if the UP will bring this equipment east to Kansas?
Ch

Date: 10/26/06 19:15
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Outstanding Sir James, as always!! Would be great to see 1996 make a swing through Denver along with 1989 for a trip on the MRONY/MNYRO (or I guess that should be the MNYPV/MPVRO now). I'm not holding my breath though.

Really glad that you were able to get out and get this shots. Interesting contrast between what you were doing at 7:30am this morning at American Fork (almost the siding furthest west on the Grande) compared to what I was doing at 7:30am at Leyden (the siding furthest east on the Grande)!!

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 10/26/06 19:16
Author: ColoradoRailfan

nikon1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any idea if the UP will bring this equipment east
> to Kansas?
> Ch

I wouldn't hold my breath! I would speculate that the duo will be broken up after the OLS is complete and 1989 will go east and 1996 will go west.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 10/26/06 19:27
Author: rich6000

I understand what your saying nikon it would be nice to see the CNW SP Rio Grande units show up in Topeka someday

Date: 10/26/06 20:11
Author: railfan

James,

Any ideas of times for Friday/ Saturdays moves please, general times would do if you cant be specific ?

Cheers

John

Date: 10/26/06 20:52
Author: DRGWbaby

Wish I'd been home in Lehi. Do you think they will hook up with the WP unit? Anyway thanks for the GREAT pictures. Jess

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0652 seconds