Home Open Account Help 206 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Operation Lifesaver Cars?

Date: 10/26/06 16:33
UP Operation Lifesaver Cars?
Author: davew833

I've enjoyed seeing pics of the UP SP/DRGW heritage locos pulling ex-CZ cars 'Silver Rapids' and 'Silver Lariat' on the Utah OLS specials this week, but I wondered why UP frequently leases these private cars now rather than pulling from their own large passenger car pool, which includes seven dome cars. (I rode an OLS special in Salt Lake City in 1999 or 2000 that had UP equipment, including a dome car.) I'm certainly not complaining, it just seems like an odd arrangement for a railroad that maintains such an extensive roster of restored passenger equipment.

Date: 10/26/06 16:48
Re: UP Operation Lifesaver Cars?
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

whenever i have been involved in the OL Specials in the Los Angeles area the Silver Lariat was always leased for the festivities. In 2001 I traveled on an all UP yellow car special throughout California and do not believe the Silver Lariat was NOT one of the cars on the special.

Date: 10/26/06 20:27
Author: Red

This seems to be a new twist--using private cars for OLS trains. In the past, it was always pure UPRR stock from the magnificent "GREAT YELLOW FLEET".

Perhaps when private cars are available in a specific location--it is easier/cheaper to use those than bring cars in from Council Bluffs?

I also suspect, that aside from cars slated for whatever biz car specials in the next few months, the bulk of the fleet is now being gathered up in Council Bluffs for "winterization"???

Date: 10/26/06 20:36
Author: spwr52

I did the OL special in CA, too. the silver lariat was not part of the consist. All cars were UP equipment in tow by UP 951. I do alot of OL in so. Cal. It's easier to get the silver lariat for use with metrolink,UP and BNSF since it's located in LA.

Date: 10/26/06 21:08
Author: jmw

1. May 2006 Arizona Operation Lifesaver Special in Mesa, AZ with the Silver Rapids and Silver Lariat.
2. September 13, 2006 OL Special - Mesa, AZ at the Dobson Rd crossing.

JMW
www.waidephoto.com

Date: 10/27/06 02:53
Author: DRGW

jmw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
<snip>
> 2. September 13, 2006 OL Special - Mesa, AZ at the
> Dobson Rd crossing.
<snip>

Interesting O/L logos they put on the cars. Looks like they're specially-made just for those cars...
-Wes

Date: 10/27/06 10:35
Author: switchlock

Most of the Heritage Fleet is probably back in Oakland for the winter now. That may have something to do with it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.031 seconds