Home Open Account Help 216 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Locomotive Radios

Date: 10/28/06 13:40
UP Locomotive Radios
Author: rrnut_99

Is it just me, or do some UP locomotives have horrible radios on them?

I've noticed in the last year or so, the audio quality of their radios is terrible when I receive them on my scanners (Vertex VX-150's). The reception range is shorter too (apparently UP uses lower-wattage now). This is in comparison with trains I hear on other railroads from home. I've heard UP trains less than a half mile from me with a garbled weak signal. I don't ever hear BNSF radios like that. I've also heard train crews saying they can't receive transmissions sometimes, and these seem to be the same trains that have these crummy radios.

Am I only one observing this?

Date: 10/28/06 13:41
Re: UP Locomotive Radios
Author: atsf929

Its not just you..I also have noticed this not just on UP motors, but more so on CSX motors, and even some NS motors.

Ryan
Galesburg, IL

Date: 10/28/06 13:50
Author: samreeves

I think it may be you. I can hear them from Watsonville Junction with clear audio.

—
Sam Reeves Photography
Pacific Grove, California
Website http://www.samreevesphoto.com

Date: 10/28/06 13:51
Author: Railbaron

UP has started installing "Nexterna" radios on their units. These are horrible radios with poor controls, poor reception, poor audio, and basically real pieces of crap. I guess UP didn't want to spend the extra money for good Motorola radios when they can get the knockoffs instead. BTW, I had one person even tell me Nexterna was owned by UP somehow so that could be a possibilty for the change I guess.

Date: 10/28/06 14:11
Author: ddg

BNSF radios have speakers in the radio themselves, plus a speaker above the engineer & condr' seats. "easy listening" Most UP engines I've been on only use the little 2" or whatever speaker in the radio itself. Very hard to hear with just that one small speaker. Some roads still use than little PTT button on the radio, and you have to put your face right up to the radio to say anything. The telephone type hand sets are a whole lot nicer to use.

Date: 10/28/06 15:32
Author: cnhog

Yes the PTT feature is annoying to use and annoying to listen to.PTT- Push to Torment!It sounds like deep throating the radio.I try not to use it as I know how it sounds

Date: 10/28/06 15:56
Author: WR-44

Railbaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> UP has started installing "Nexterna" radios on
> their units. These are horrible radios with poor
> controls, poor reception, poor audio, and
> basically real pieces of crap. I guess UP didn't
> want to spend the extra money for good Motorola
> radios when they can get the knockoffs instead.
> BTW, I had one person even tell me Nexterna was
> owned by UP somehow so that could be a possibilty
> for the change I guess.

You’re right… Nexterna is a wholly owned subsidiary of Union Pacific. I just found Nexterna's website and discovered that the company was founded in 1987, with the goal to design and build technology solutions for UP to better manage its railroad operations.

Here are a couple of links to their web site. The first link tells about being owned by UP…

http://www.nexterna.com/about/
http://www.nexterna.com

Date: 10/28/06 20:53
Author: gtw1516

I believe these Nexterna locomotive radio`s are actually an E F Johnson radio, in Nexterna`s package. The new GE locomotive radio`s, that are of good quality, are actually a Kenwood radio in the GE package. gtw1516

WR-44 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Railbaron Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > UP has started installing "Nexterna" radios on
> > their units. These are horrible radios with
> poor
> > controls, poor reception, poor audio, and
> > basically real pieces of crap. I guess UP
> didn't
> > want to spend the extra money for good Motorola
> > radios when they can get the knockoffs instead.
> > BTW, I had one person even tell me Nexterna was
> > owned by UP somehow so that could be a
> possibilty
> > for the change I guess.
>
>
> You’re right… Nexterna is a wholly owned
> subsidiary of Union Pacific. I just found
> Nexterna's website and discovered that the company
> was founded in 1987, with the goal to design and
> build technology solutions for UP to better manage
> its railroad operations.
>
> Here are a couple of links to their web site. The
> first link tells about being owned by UP…
>
> http://www.nexterna.com/about/
> http://www.nexterna.com

Date: 10/28/06 22:25
Author: Pj

Motorola is disconinuing the Motorola Astro Spectra Railroad radio, most likely in favor for the XTL5000 style which should be out soon. The Motorola Spectra series radio has been a RR standard for years. Most, if not all US based radios in RR use in loco's are 45 watts. Cananda's rules limit them to 40 watts.

UP has stated in the past they they are going forward with the digital mode (APCO25 standard) and I think a yard or two are using the digital radio's. So unless they are developing or rebranding an existing P25 radio, I don't see why they would do this.

Date: 10/29/06 08:43
Author: EMDSW-1

Many of the original Spectra "clean cab" radios are approaching 20 years of age----kind of like 50-60 years in a normal environment. The abuse they receive is unbelievable. I can't understand either why UP would go to these knockoffs when Motorola is willing and able to furnish good railroad radios. UP is also going to off-brand mobiles for M of W service and portables for the switch crews.

One of the reception problems could be the antenna "clusters" seen on many new units as opposed to the individual "firecracker" or whip antennas previously used.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0748 seconds