SUBDIVISION: All

Maintaining Homeland Security continues to be vitally important. At BNSF,
every employee plays a role in identifying and reporting trespassers as
well as suspicious or unusual persons, circumstances or items on and near
rail equipment or property.

By acting as the "eyes and ears" of the railroad, employees can assist
BNSF in preventing criminal or terrorist acts. Any suspicious individuals
or activities should be reported as part of BNSF's On-Guard program to
the Resource Operations Call Center (ROCC) at 800-832-5452.

Employees should also realize that, as a result of government security
initiatives, they may encounter individuals identifying themselves as
government officials from the Transportation Security Administration,
Federal Railroad Administration or other agencies. In many cases, the
inspector's mission is to assess the level of security awareness or
preparedness at specific rail locations.

In the interest of safety and security, when you encounter these
individuals, please ask to see their identification and credentials
unless you know the individual or you see that the individual is
accompanied by a known railway official. You may also call the ROCC at
the number above to verify the inspector's identity and assignment.

Remember, everyone on BNSF property must wear the appropriate personal
protective equipment and follow the safety rules. As always, employees
are empowered to intervene if they observe anyone on railroad property
potentially putting themselves at risk.

Other important security measures include the following:
* Employees should always have their BNSF identification cards available.
* Always control computer passwords and properly dispose of sensitive
documents, including train lists with shipper or commodity information.

APPROVED:
C R ICE
EXEC VICE PRESIDENT & COO

SYSTEM GENERAL NOTIC(S) FOR THE SOUTHWEST DIVISION IN EFFECT
=========================================================================
| 2-4,7-9,13-26,28,30-31,33,36,38,54,84,94,100,111,118,127,129,142,144, |
| 165-167,174,181,186-187,209-210,212,216,219,222-223,228,230,238,241, |
| 243-245,249-250,256-257,260-262,266-269,274-275,277-279,282,284-286, |
| 288-291 |
=========================================================================

Date: 11/03/06 14:38
Re: BNSF Homeland Security
Author: crs1026

Just got back from a 12-day trip from the Great Lakes to Nebraska and back. We found the Homeland Security thing to be present, but not as bad as some describe it.

On two occasions, Nebraska State Troopers spotted us parked on US 30, and stopped merely to ask if we were having car trouble. When we said 'No, we're taking pictures of trains" they just smiled and wished us a nice day.

Once, a State Trooper saw us parked at a level crossing on a public road along the UP triple track, pulled a U-turn, roared up with the gumball lights on, and gave us the full 9 yards. He was polite and not accusatory, just asked what we were doing, looked in the back of our van, and asked us to produce ID, which he ran through the system. After determining that we weren't wanted for anything, he explained a little sheepishly that the UP line is considered a major transportation facility and since 911 they are required to check out anyone near it. I sensed that he knew exactly what railfans were, and didn't view us as particularly suspicious, but he had to do his job. After returning our ID he wished us a safe trip, jumped in his cruiser, and sped off quickly....as if we were a waste of his time and he needed to get back to work. It was a totally professional encounter.

The only unsettling experience was in Kearney NE, where after getting a grab shot downtown and jumping back in the car, a city cop who saw us, followed us for a mile or two - a foot or so from our rear bumper. This was sufficiently annoying that finally I pulled over on a sidestreet, parked the car, and got out. He didn't even stop, just pulled a U-turn and drove off. You could say it was intimidation, but I took some comfort in the fact that he knew he had no legal reason to pull us over.

As for UP and BNSF crews, mostly they just smiled and waved. One UP MOW guy driving US 30 saw us, stopped, put on his flashers, and just watched us. We approached him and he was friendly. Whereas a UP "Weed Weasel" who was running efficiency tests on trains near North Platte drove back and forth past us a dozen times, with us standing on the roadside with cameras and monopods, and acted like he never noticed us. I figured that being management, he would have to call us in, but clearly he didn't.

We were careful to stay off railroad property, and this obviously helped. My advice would be, if you see a cop checking you out, just approach him with a smile and cheerfully say "Hi, we're from xxxx and we're watching trains". Seems to be all it takes. The cops must be getting sick of this - there are tons of fans shooting out there - and eventually sanity will return.

- Paul

Date: 11/03/06 18:47
Author: JimM

I keep hearing how railfans are annoyed at those security and police folks who are watching over the local RR facilities. To be honest, I don't understand the anger.

First, there are insane people out there who want to destroy you and me and this country. They don't want to fight conventional army to army, they want to destroy us and our families and our society. If you think that's hysteria and propaganda, well, you're dreaming.

The local cops and security guards only know that these lunatics can do some very bad stuff, they are very capable of doing very bad stuff, and have made plans against the railroads. They also know that the only way to stop them is tight local and individual security. They aren't security experts, they don't know how these nuts will do it. None of us knows either. We've never played this game before.

So when I see these guys trying their best, not knowing who the enemy is or what he looks like I have a lot of respect for them and the job they're doing. When they ask me not to take photos, I say "Yes sir. And thanks for what you're doing". They don't know the rules, none of us does. But there are many good reasons why railroads would be a great target. And I'm very thankful that those folks are out there annoying you guys.

And what really floors me is when folks blame our government and not the terrorists themselves for creating all of this. Boggles my mind.

Date: 11/03/06 21:03
Author: mojaveflyer

One should keep in mind that police departments, as well as railroad management, and other groups frequently vilified here recruit their employees from the same place... The general population. I take it from your post that you are a railroad employee. Should I judge you by the employees I removed from service for being drunk or under the influence of drugs as a special agent? There's 'problem children' in EVERY profession, there are no exceptions. Don't judge the entire group by the actions of a few...

Date: 11/03/06 23:36
Author: atsf929

I think my main thing will all the tight security is it seems that illogical happens. I can understand if someone shoos me away while railfanning near an oil refinery or a power plant, but I don't enjoy getting pulled over in the middle of no where. When the nearest target per say is a tree, a deer or two, or sand and moutains in the middle of no where thats when I get testy about being asked what I am doing. However, they are just doing their job. So I don't get all upset and cruel just be polite and most police will not bother you.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0682 seconds