Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Train accident movie filming on the F & W

Date: 01/19/07 12:17
Train accident movie filming on the F & W
Author: riorita

Happened on the filming of a train accident west of Fillmore,Ca on the Fillmore & Western. The ist pic shows some F & W equipment repainted as a mythical(I assume) Coastal Blue consist approaching the grade-crossing. It stopped short of the crossing to have its 'impaler' installed and hose removed. Then backed-up far enough to get up speed and hit the car at 20-30 mph. The 3rd is the impact and the 4th is the result.
I believe the 'impaler' helps to keep the car on the tracks and insures that the train doesn't run over it and damage the track or loco.
A car essentially identical to the one on the track is visible in #2. It ran and was used for all other shots. The car on the track had no motor or gas tank for safety sake.
I did not get a good picture of the impact.

Date: 01/19/07 15:59
Re: Train accident movie filming on the F & W
Author: jimbokat

I like the paint job they did. I know they use the F&W for movies so do they use a water base paint or do they have to sand it off before they put it back into F&W colors?

Date: 01/19/07 16:48
Author: CDTX

Oh dear, both Fs in the ugly blue scheme. I do hope they repaint at least one of them back into the silver/orange scheme soon...the blue is an eyesore...but for some reason the movie companies like it.

Either way, it looks like 101 is smokin up a storm as always! I always had more of a thing for 101 more than 100...maybe cuz i liked the ride heading west more than east (back when the 101 was facing west and the 100 east).

Date: 01/19/07 16:55
Author: riorita

We saw them painting the 101 about a month ago. It doesn't look like they are stripping the old paint.
The 3rd picture is of a mock-up they used earlier. I'm guessing they used it as a camera platform for the shots of the car getting stuck as viewed from the track.

Date: 01/19/07 17:57
Author: tc

why don't paint one of the f's in S.P. black widow that might attract more people

Date: 01/19/07 19:20
Author: Steamjocky

That has been talked about for many years. They were even going to renumber them after the last SP F-units (6466-6467?). Still waiting for Dave (the owner) to do this.

JDE

Date: 01/20/07 01:38

I personally think they should paint them into C&NW, as per their heritage....but thats just me :-)

Date: 01/20/07 06:23
Author: cs16

CDTX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I personally think they should paint them into
> C&NW, as per their heritage....but thats just me
> :-)

That would confuse some of the employees. "go to the 409". The PV or locomotive?

Date: 01/20/07 06:25

riorita Wrote:
Then backed-up far enough to get
> up speed and hit the car at 20-30 mph.

If they were doing more than 20, then they are in violation of FRA rules. Class 1 track for pass. is 15.

Date: 01/20/07 08:05
Author: BigDave

riorita Wrote:
> We saw them painting the 101 about a month ago. It
> doesn't look like they are stripping the old
> paint.
> The 3rd picture is of a mock-up they used earlier.
> I'm guessing they used it as a camera platform for
> the shots of the car getting stuck as viewed from
> the track.

I would guess more for reaction shots of the 'crew' when they hit the car

Date: 01/20/07 09:28
Author: WMF7A

Are these the same F-units that belonged to the Maryland Midland Railway in the late 80's and early 90's? If so, i ran them both back then. While they both were good pullers the 101 seemed a little better than the 100. If it is them, it's good to see they are still being used for something and not setting around in a musuem or park some where.

Jeff in Pa.

Date: 01/20/07 11:58

Yes, that would be them. And last i knew, yes, 101 still pulls better than the 100.

Godo point about the 409, would have to talk Dave into renumbering his car haha.

Date: 01/20/07 13:14
Author: 567Chant

Operation Squish-Car-Bob

...Lorenzo

Date: 01/20/07 21:28
Author: FullService

>
> If they were doing more than 20, then they are in
> violation of FRA rules. Class 1 track for pass. is
> 15.

......I'm sure the production company or the movie director greases somebody in the FRA to get a waiver for 24 or 48 hours on that section of line.

Date: 01/21/07 01:06

That thought kind of scares me. Back when i was an active young member of the Society, the track in that area (if i am thinking the right spot) was pretty bad, and the Fs were like riding a roller coaster, yea, the Fs are pretty bad over the whole line, but especially there! But if i remember, correctly, although passenger was kept to 13-15, freights were allowed for 20-25 on most of the line, with some exceptions like bad portions and some bridges, mainly the small bridge at the ole BBQ/pumpkin site, which had a basically permanent 10mph for everything. Since then though, and were talking 5 or so years, there have been a few track improvements. The going joke for a few sections, sections (about 100-300 feet) was, "Come on Jim, lets test out that 79mph curve!" to which he would reply something along the lines of (going to keep this clean) "You go ahead, but let me off first!"

Date: 01/21/07 22:09

FullService Wrote:
> >
> > If they were doing more than 20, then they are
> in
> > violation of FRA rules. Class 1 track for pass.
> is
> > 15.
>
> ......I'm sure the production company or the movie
> director greases somebody in the FRA to get a
> waiver for 24 or 48 hours on that section of line.

Having worked there for many years, that kind of thing doesn't doesn't happen. Just one of the reasons why I left that place, rules didn't apply to them, they think. They just ignore the rules, do what the production co. wants and use the universal answer for everything--OH WELL.
And, I hope you are not suggesting bribing a federal inspector.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0855 seconds