Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Late UPS Trains

Date: 02/06/07 09:10
Late UPS Trains
Author: webmaster

I receive a lot of deliveries via UPS and I have observed the "Late Train" notation many times. What is the penalty on the railroad for being late?

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 02/06/07 09:33
Re: Late UPS Trains
Author: jackpot

Account executive for the railroad responsible for the shipper is given electrical shot treatment to the family jewels at his next "team" meeting.

Date: 02/06/07 10:27
Author: WAF

Sure, blame the railroads

Date: 02/06/07 11:10
Author: garrett

I got a late train notice on a package once that was too local to have used rails.

I felt like telling a RR executive somewhere, but then I remembered that they don't give a damn.

garrett

Date: 02/06/07 13:07
Author: jackpot

Often, the railroads and UPS dicker and trade late arrivals for breaks in rates. For example, a few years ago, BNSF had several "failures" during their Peak Season--schedule-wise. But BNSF made some deals with UPS and those failures disappeared, apparently adjusting rates on certain segments over that period of time.

It's all a game of smoke and mirrors.

Date: 02/06/07 14:53
Author: davebb71

todd, i am familar with the ups website and with the type of page you have shown us, but wait a minute, how can your package be out for delivery at 8:26am on 02/06/07 from sylmar and be scheduled for delivery tomorrow 02/07/07 in canyon country as indicated at the top of the page saying that it is on time??? dont they have a closer ups hub to you than sylmar, somewhere in orange county???

interesting but strange,

dave, out.

yes, thats what happens when you trust a computer system... local.live.com placed canyon country down near brea not north of sylmar, mapquest and maps.google both put it in the right spot. case closed.

Date: 02/06/07 15:42
Author: ButteStBrakeman

davebb71 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> todd, i am familar with the ups website and with
> the type of page you have shown us, but wait a
> minute, how can your package be out for delivery
> at 8:26am on 02/06/07 from sylmar and be scheduled
> for delivery tomorrow 02/07/07 in canyon country
> as indicated at the top of the page saying that it
> is on time??? dont they have a closer ups hub to
> you than sylmar, somewhere in orange county???
>
> interesting but strange,
>
> dave, out.

Sylmar is a lot closer to Canyon Country than is Orange county.

V

SLOCONDR

Date: 02/06/07 15:46
Author: BRAtkinson

I don't know what UPS thinks the schedule should be, but 3 days 6 hours from Nashville to California isn't bad...especially considering it's over the weekend when everything slows down. Remember, they aren't running at passenger train speeds and...it's probably UP, too!

Date: 02/06/07 17:13
Author: ProAmtrak

Oh yeah, and UP runs their Z Trains hotter than even Amtrak and delays still happen? BNSF runs theirs as hot as Amtrak (even though Amtrak's faster) and they still make their runs in a consistent manner with the usual delays to boot! Somethin's wrong here!

Date: 02/06/07 17:56
Author: gmojim

This shipment ran by truck from Nashville to Marion AR, and then on the UP Z-NSLC to LA. The train tries to make run in about 56 hours, so should have been in LA in the morning, not the afternoon. Train leaves Marion about 8-9 PM every night.

gmojim

Date: 02/06/07 20:29
Author: train4657

nothing to do with your UPS thread, but we used to run team trucks from York, Pa. to LA in 58 hrs, and do it legally. 56 hrs from marion, ar. is too slow.

Date: 02/08/07 13:16
Author: UPNW2-1083

What gets me is that it shows in Vernon At 3PM on the 5th but not scanned in until after 1 the next morning. I can't believe it would take 9 hours to get the trailer unloaded.-BMT

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0552 seconds