Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Lathrop Intermodal Contract Switching

Date: 02/23/07 17:47
UP Lathrop Intermodal Contract Switching
Author: shed47

Since its opening the Union Pacific Intermodal Terminal in Lathrop, CA has been switched by contract operators, initially Rail Switching Services. Based on the corporate image on the locomotive presently assigned it is now worked by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Rail Link. Has this occurred fairly recently, or has Rail Link held the contract for some time now? A search of G&W's Rail Link page does not list the Lathrop facility, suggesting this may be a new developement.
http://www.gwrr.com/default.cfm?action=rail&section=3B5a

An interesting aspect of the Lathrop operation is that overflow intermodal equipment is often stored at Wyche, the first siding west of Lathrop on the Oakland Sub. This gives the little switcher a chance to cut loose on the mainline for a few miles, somewhat unusual for an industrial contract switching operator. RLIX164 is seen at the east end of Wyche pulling on an impressive 4000' cut of baretable equipment beginning its "sprint" to Lathrop. This job is identified as the LLT1 in radio communications.

Anyone have any info on the 164--model, build date, ownership history, etc.? The paint looks very recent.

Date: 02/23/07 18:46
Re: UP Lathrop Intermodal Contract Switching
Author: espeeboy

Weird Bob, just went by here about 10 or 15 miles back behind me on the road! Didn't know RSSX with their Bumble Bee ex-SP switchers were out. This new guy is just hideous but cool to see it getting some mainline action West of town. Lotsa new houses out their in West of town...

-Ryan aka "espeeboy"
back at trackspeed on the I-580 East
on the ex-SP West Side Line MP107.4

Date: 02/23/07 23:33
Re: UP Lathrop Inter modal Contract Switching
Author: wwdyer

Does anyone know if a similar operation is done on the yard BNSF runs south of Stockton along Maraposa Road. Big black switchers doing the shuffle work.

Date: 02/24/07 02:49
Author: SantaFeCF7

espeeboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Weird Bob, just went by here about 10 or 15 miles
> back behind me on the road! Didn't know RSSX with
> their Bumble Bee ex-SP switchers were out. This
> new guy is just hideous but cool to see it getting
> some mainline action West of town. Lotsa new
> houses out their in West of town...
>
> -Ryan aka "espeeboy"
> back at trackspeed on the I-580 East
> on the ex-SP West Side Line MP107.4

Hey Ryan,
RSS took over the Weyerhaeuser plant switching in Springfield, Oregon from WATCO about a year ago (maybe longer). Two of the "Bumble Bees" are here now, when I worked for WATCO we only used one CF-7 (Yep, that's where I first grew to like 'em and got the inspiration for my T.O. name!).
- Chris

Date: 02/24/07 03:18
Author: uprrfan

Are those mini scrubbers on the stacks of that lil switcher?

Date: 02/24/07 03:31
Author: topper

uprrfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Are those mini scrubbers on the stacks of that lil
> switcher?

Spark arresters.

Date: 02/24/07 05:40
Author: MacBeau

> Anyone have any info on the 164--model, build
> date, ownership history, etc.? The paint looks
> very recent.

B/N 14908
B/D 09-1951
Model SW9
Frame # 4098-11
ACL 682
SCL 164
AMCX 308
RLIX 164

Jay Reed's 3rd shows this units as having been at BP Amoco Chemicals, Chocolate Bayou, TX.

—Mac

Date: 03/10/13 01:35
Author: kevin2472

for anyone interested in knowing sadly after a long life 164 is being scrapped this Monday

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0603 seconds