Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Any SD50 Fans Out There?

Date: 07/20/07 21:38
Any SD50 Fans Out There?
Author: GrandeGold

Utah Railway has a small fleet of five Australian built SD50-S units on their roster. Four are currently assigned to helper duties from Martin, Utah west over Soldier Summit. The fifth unit works on heavy haul locals in the Salt Lake City area.

UR 6064 is now assigned to work out of Midvale, Utah north to the refineries in North Salt Lake/Woods Cross and south to Provo. Utah management has teamed the SD50-S to work with newly leased BNSF SD40-2 #7163. The colorful pair are caught at East Midvale, awaiting a clear block to head east to Provo.

James

Date: 07/20/07 22:28
Re: Any SD50 Fans Out There?
Author: ColoradoRailfan

::Raises Hand::

Yessir, I am indeed an SD50 fan. Nice shot! Is that SD40-2 actually still owned by BNSF and being leased to UTAH directly, or did BNSF sell 'er off and it is being leased to UTAH through a leasing company (or is it even clear?).

Thanks for the shot.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 07/20/07 23:09
Author: TPWman

only in Black/Aspen gold.Not my picture but you get the idea.

Date: 07/21/07 05:47
Author: GrandeGold

FrontRange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yessir, I am indeed an SD50 fan. Nice shot! Is
> that SD40-2 actually still owned by BNSF and being
> leased to UTAH directly, or did BNSF sell 'er off
> and it is being leased to UTAH through a leasing
> company (or is it even clear?).

Kevin!

It is my understanding that the two SD40-2's on the property are leased, but I don't have the details. If a permanent pair of units were needed, more than likely a castaway or two from Gennese & Wyoming (big daddy) would suffice quite nicely.

I continue to be greatful G&W management has yet to paint UR power in orange and black (except the 5005). Credit this to the high cost of repaints.

James

Date: 07/21/07 07:10
Author: GTWFAN

Aren't the Utah units actually SD60's?

Date: 07/21/07 12:05
Author: TopcoatSmith

GTWFAN Wrote:
> Aren't the Utah units actually SD60's?

Nope.

TCS - mofwd

Date: 07/21/07 13:31
Author: mojaveflyer

I think Utah Railway has some really interesting power roaming around... This 'SD-50' was leading 5 units back towards Helper as it passed through Kyune, UT, on 12/29/2005. I don't know if this has been repainted or not.

Date: 07/21/07 18:03
Author: BN_FAN

Technically the Utahs were built by EMD licensee Clyde Engineering as model SD50S, sharing that designation with dissimilar N&W SD50S's built earlier. Both built on a shorter frame than stock SD50s albeit on different continents and different in many details.

Seems like, oh, only five years ago when I caught one of the Aussie units as an NREX leaser in Hamersly Iron paint.

GTWFAN Wrote:
> Aren't the Utah units actually SD60's?

Date: 07/21/07 19:54
Author: SD45X

mojaveflyer Wrote:
> I think Utah Railway has some really interesting
> power roaming around... This 'SD-50' was leading 5
> units back towards Helper as it passed through
> Kyune, UT, on 12/29/2005. I don't know if this has
> been repainted or not.

This is a MK cat reengined with EMD 645, and this is the repaint. Hopefully the rest won't follow.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0599 seconds