Arkansas Depot Museum Thursday evening, August 9, 2007 at 8:08 p.m. I used
flash and 1600 ISO since the sun had set. Consist was UP 8615, 1996, 4036
and 4289. It came from the intermodal facility at Marion, Arkansas, close to
Memphis, Tennessee. To my knowledge, this is the first time the SP heritage has
been in Arkansas. Is that correct?

Date: 08/10/07 05:13
Re: UP 1996 at Brinkley, AR at sunset
Author: xtra1188w

I can't offer an objective comment about the locomotives, they're just more yellow diesels. I'll bet that good pictures of that depot would be just as, if not more, interesting than just diesel pictures. Just my opinion, this is, and we all know what is commonly said about opinions.

Con

Date: 08/10/07 05:39
Author: SSW9389

Thanks Ken Z.

Ed who lives about 500 miles from Brinkley.

Date: 08/10/07 08:15
Author: SOB

You should do a layout on the depot, I haven't seen it since I worked out of Pine Bluff back in the 80's! It would be a nice addition to the group.

SOB

Date: 08/10/07 08:52
Author: arkansasrailroader

Your wish is my command about seeing the Brinkley depot:

Here's a photo of the Brinkley, Arkansas depot. It was a union-type depot serving both the Cotton Belt and Rock Island until about 1980 then it fell into disrepair. When Union Pacific obtained the Cotton Belt (SP) they threatened to tear down the depot in the late 1990s, but the city of Brinkley convinced them that this particular depot was set farther away from the tracks than normal since it served two railroads crossing there, and that it was not a hazard. So, in 2001, UP donated the depot and land to the Central Delta Historical Society and it was completely renovated in 2002-2003 and opened as a museum in 2003. It is staffed by volunteers 7 days a week (I'm one of those volunteers) and houses items such as WWI, WWII, Korean and Vietnam items, Ivory-bill Woodpecker information, Rock Island and Cotton Belt things, Louisiana Purchase exhibit, plus tons of other various things. The museum has only one part-time employee, a secretary. It's funded by donations (mainly) and a $2 admission price. Since it sits close to the very busy Interstate 40 halfway between Little Rock and Memphis, a lot of our visitors are just taking a break and passing through.

I'll try and put a separate piece on the depot soon. If I do, would this be placed on this Western Railroad board or on the Nostalgia and History board?

Ken Z

xtra1188w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't offer an objective comment about the
> locomotives, they're just more yellow diesels.
> I'll bet that good pictures of that depot would be
> just as, if not more, interesting than just diesel
> pictures. Just my opinion, this is, and we all
> know what is commonly said about opinions.
>
> Con

Date: 08/10/07 10:13
Author: NormSchultze

I've been to the museum. It is a nice one---not pretentious at all.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0393 seconds