Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Breaking in a new Zoom on a Great PNW Day

Date: 10/12/07 22:15
Breaking in a new Zoom on a Great PNW Day
Author: DelMonteX

My new Sigma 18-200 OS lens arrived this afternoon, just in time for perhaps the only sunny fall day we will have in the Puget Sound area.

Started downtown Tacoma, looking for a south bound train. All we found was the extra switch job, NB empty grainer and the Dinner Train.

1) A telesmash of the BNSF Tacoma yard, with the extra switch job working, while an empty grainer pulls towards Seattle.

A goal of mine has been fall color shots from the Tacoma Narrows bridge (old one).

2) UP Garbage would have to do from the bridge, the only south bound all afternoon and evening.

3) A bit closer. The sun really lights up that Scotchlite!

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 10/12/07 22:19
Re: Breaking in a new Zoom on a Great PNW Day

A couple of pan shots.

4) Nice shiny ACE on the point of the Garbage train. UP sure does the garbage up nice.

5) Pan by a empty handed fisherman a trailing SD70.

6) Bridge 14 at Steilacoom, nearing sunset in the up position.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 10/12/07 22:54
Author: a737flyer

The bridge..14?..is it tended or do the folks with boats have to call ahead for service? I believe there is a slow order for that bridge because as long as I have been watching trains along the point line since 1995 or so, they have all slowed way down to cross that bridge, and then back to track speed through Steilacoom southbound and Titlow northbound.

I worked summers at Pioneer Sand and Gravel from 1960 to 1967, which is now the Chambers Bay Golf Course, and I never remember them slowing for the bridge. they were at track speed right around through Steilacoom and northbound, too.

Really great pictures. I have always thought about taking pictures from the bridge, but was afraid someone would think I was a jumper!!

Date: 10/12/07 23:05
Author: DWHonan

Yes, there is a bridge tender: He's hanging out at the north end of the span in this shot from February 18, 2006.

The timetable speeds across the bridge are T40/P40/F40, but there may be a slow order in effect to modify that.

-Dave

Date: 10/12/07 23:06
Author: BNSFhogger

Looks like a great lens, Steve.

bridge 14 has a 40 mph speed limit on it. It was 30 mph until a couple of years ago.

Date: 10/13/07 01:37
Author: cabforward

Great photos of your layout. The modeling of the water, including the drain pipe look so real, and the trees and shurbs look so life like. You should Think of sending it to Model Rairoader.
Bill Rigsby
Insane Diego

Date: 10/13/07 08:52
Author: DILWORTH

Nice what kind of camera is on the lens thanks....

Date: 10/13/07 09:46

Canon 40D. Not as sharp as I would like after being resized, compressed and posted.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 10/13/07 19:56
Author: locogimp

I've had that same lens on my 20D for over a year, and now it has been relegated to the camera bag due to it's lack of clarity. It is a great snap-shot lens, but my new Canon 70-200L 2.8 lens will be dedicated to the 20D and my 5D has a Canon 28-135 which together covers quite a spread in focal lengths.
Jan Austin
Chico, CA

Date: 10/13/07 22:06
Author: Mgoldman

I have a friend with a Sigma 17-70 2.8 to 4.5.
From what I've seen on the web (only), the lens
does a great job and saves swapping lenses so
often. A big plus is the 2.8 at 17 mm.

Steve, what is the apeture (range) of your new
lens?

/Mitch

Date: 10/13/07 23:16

Mitch:

If I understand correctly, 3.5 at 18mm and 6.3 at 200mm.

Took it for some night shots this evening in Seattle. Have to sift through and evaluate it's (my) performance still.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds