Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tongue River Railroad?

Date: 11/09/07 08:34
Tongue River Railroad?
Author: geomel1

Traveling in the Sheridan WY area got me thinking...wasn't there a rail line proposed to run directly north into Montana and connect with the old NP along the Yellowstone. Was this to extend the Dutch Sub beyond Decker MT? Can someone refresh (or refute!) my memory?
Geo

Date: 11/09/07 08:48
Re: Tongue River Railroad?
Author: OCVarnes

There was a post to the Western Board on October 9.

"The STB The Surface Transportation Board has issued a decision granting final approval to the Tongue River Railroad, Inc., to construct approximately 17.3 miles of new railroad line in Montana, known as Tongue River III or the "Western Alignment," subject to environmental mitigation conditions."

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1509419,1509419#msg-1509419

OCV

Date: 11/09/07 12:19
Author: rresor

The Tongue River Railroad, first proposed in the early 1980s, has now been approved for its entire route from Miles City, MT to Decker, MT. In addition to tapping several proposed coal mines and the existing Decker mine, it will also serve as a short cut for Powder River Basin coal using BNSF's "Northern Coal Route" (former NP main). It will reduce the distance by almost 200 miles versus going around through Huntley, MT plus it will eliminate the helper grade from Sheridan to Parkman, MT.

Date: 11/09/07 14:09
Author: jackpot

So, who will build this? Who will operate it? Will it be a BNSF operation or is that still unknown?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0287 seconds