Home Open Account Help 205 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Dying

Date: 11/20/07 15:47
Dying
Author: SD45X

Dispatcher wouldn't let us go or let us know what was going on, so we spent 2 1/2 waiting for the relief crew. Wandered around with camera in last light. Holcomb KS empty at the main line switch.

Date: 11/20/07 15:52
Re: Dying
Author: cozephyr

Looks like the dispatcher parked you near tornado alley (downed tree) but close to a shelter. Thoughtful, indeed.

May your time waiting for the van pay ye well!

Date: 11/20/07 15:55
Author: TCnR

Is this an example of "Limbo" time?

Date: 11/20/07 16:00
Author: PumpkinHogger

That third shot is muy cool

Just be glad your last name isn't Clutter -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holcomb%2C_Kansas

Date: 11/20/07 16:26
Author: Pinlifter

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this an example of "Limbo" time?

Yes. After you "expire" (12hrs on duty) you go into limbo time.

Date: 11/20/07 16:30
Author: IndianaHarbor

Thanks for posting these. It's great to see shots from the old "passenger main".

Gary

Date: 11/20/07 17:23
Author: amtrak34east

That last photo is friggin AWESOME!! Is that a unit pipe train passing you there at Holcomb or is it the H-KCKDEN9 with a whole bunch of pipe on it?
Drew Mitchem
Pueblo, CO

Date: 11/20/07 18:00
Author: alex14ramos

That last photo you posted came out really awesome.

Take Care,
Alex Ramos

Date: 11/20/07 18:56
Author: SPLoopConductor

I've always done my best railroading (or being railroaded) on rubber tires! Nothing like taking photos on OT... did you "limbo" through the drain pipe?

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

Date: 11/21/07 16:21
Author: rehunn

Larry (and Virlon), other than Doug Harrop I've run into very few if any SP guys who
carried a camera while on duty, comments????

Date: 11/22/07 00:06
Author: SPLoopConductor

Rich:

I hardly ever carried a 'decent' camera with me, had a 110. I did however, almost always had a 'disposable' camera since they came out, for accidents, derailments, injuries, etc. I saved the film for 'disasters', but did take some regular shots now and then. At our union meetings, I would tell the guys and gals to buy a cheap camera and carry it with them. When something happened, take tons of pictures. As I'm sure you know, the RR can clean UP an accident scene quickly, alot faster after the injury, than if they fixed it before the injury. There was a 'new' switchman in L.A. around 1980 or so, who carried his camera while working. He got a bad reputation by taking pictures before doing, and while doing his job. He slowed things down (a Switchmen oxymoron?) so much people didn't want him on their job. He was finally told by the bosses to leave his camera at home.

For me, I took a shot on 9-10-96, of the sun setting on the rails as we came into Bakersfield, a nice shot as I remember, of the last sunset of the SP. It's around here someplace, I hope so, if I ever find it again, it will be one I post!

Of course, I could kick myself now for not taking a ton more over the years...

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1399 seconds