Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Some Recent Random Shots

Date: 11/29/07 01:14
Some Recent Random Shots
Author: Jaanfo

Scraping some shots out of the pile.. This is mostly passenger pics (Sorry Freight fans)

1) New Paint job on the SDTI SD100 LRVs

2) Sprinter Train spending the Week in Oceanside for Equipment Oriantation (for the local Rescue agencies)

Date: 11/29/07 01:27
Re: Some Recent Random Shots

1) Had to get a better angle on the SD100... Red doesn't photograph too well (any suggestions?)

2) A San Diego Northern Railway Work train (With F59 #3001 running Long-hood forward) waits for Surfliner 796 to pass by before it drops off rail at a nearby grade crossing slated for double track.

3) The same SDNR train at Encinitas, it had one more delivery to make.

Date: 11/29/07 01:33

1) Approach Diverging for the SDNR Locomotive as it runs around its empty flat car

2) Running around

3) Ready to go back East. Engineer was staring out the window at me (what was that picture I posted about Nosy engineers being an annoyance to railfans a while back Ed? ;-) )

Date: 11/29/07 01:39

1) An unusual Load at Coast Blvd (Specialized Track Equipment with a Cement Truck shove past)

2) Another view of the Cement Truck fulfilling its part of the Stabilization Project (I may head back and do a more detailed photo session of the project in the very near future)

3) CDTX 2012 at Redondo... new body panels and fresh paint, just needs some decalling and she'll be good as new

Date: 11/29/07 01:46
Some Not-So-Recent Random Shots

From a recent dig into the Archives (which led to me wanteing to get out some more:

1) A Union Pacific Local in Orange, CA on the San Diego Sub. At the time I shot this photo I was NOT a trainman, I was standing behind the Cab door which was open and got the shot.

2) A Classic shot from one of my first visits to Fullerton

3) Sand Dropping, train departing

Date: 11/29/07 01:52

1) One day I took a joyride to Fullerton for a few hours, but got this nice view from my rear window perspective as we were shafted by the BNSF for 3 trains.

2) My last shot, taken tonight, is of Amtrak 595 passing through Del Mar. In the distance was my attempted secondary subject; the Del Mar Holiday of Lights.

Date: 11/29/07 09:04
Author: jofegan

It appears that running the F59's long hood forward would be a challenge as the engineer would have no visibility whatsoever unless he/she poked their head out the window. Do they do that just for switching, or was that for a run at speed down the line?

Thanks

jofegan

Date: 11/29/07 11:48

jofegan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It appears that running the F59's long hood
> forward would be a challenge as the engineer would
> have no visibility whatsoever unless he/she poked
> their head out the window. Do they do that just
> for switching, or was that for a run at speed down
> the line?
>
> Thanks
>
> jofegan

I believe they ran at speed except they had to do 15 MPH over grade crossings (acct they had no ditch lights in front) Don't ask me how they did it. The train ran from CP Mesa to CP Crosby like that... a distance of about 30 miles.

Date: 11/29/07 14:19
Author: CimaScrambler

Great set of photos. I don't get to visit my old stomping ground very often.

Where are they planning to double track? Ponto to Cardiff? Eventually the whole thing will be that way if the traffic keeps growing.

- Kit

Date: 11/29/07 17:23
Author: 3rdswitch

That rear window perspective shot is reversed. Was it taken in the mirror?
JB

Date: 11/29/07 20:05

CimaScrambler Wrote:
> Great set of photos. I don't get to visit my old
> stomping ground very often.
>
> Where are they planning to double track? Ponto to
> Cardiff? Eventually the whole thing will be that
> way if the traffic keeps growing.
>
> - Kit

Well, over the next few years they're supposedly double tracking everything between Solana Beach and CP Songs, and between Old Town and Elvira. It's possible (And, IMO, Necessary) to double track all the way down to CP Del Mar, but any further East and the Funding dries up due to the shear complexity of the project... Caltrans has already rejected funding double tracking between CP Pines and CP Cumbres, I can't imagine between CP Torrey and CP Del Mar has much more support. There is a lot of discussion going on about finding an inland route through Del Mar to provide a wider ROW and get the ROW off the bluffs before they crumble out from beneath. Eventually, about when the California HSR project is complete (read into that how you like) the entire SDNR could be double tracked.

Anyway, they were dropping off rail at random grade crossings between CP Longboard (The old Escondido Junction) and CP Farr. They then went down to CP Craven and dropped off what appeared to be a frog to be replaced before running around the car at Del mar (796 was tied up on track 1 in Solana Beach) and returning to Stuart.

3rdswitch Wrote:
> That rear window perspective shot is reversed. Was
> it taken in the mirror?
> JB

More observant than I'd have figured... I'll let you puzzle over it though.

Date: 11/29/07 23:30
Author: spdesertdog

BTW that rig hauling the cement truck is a LO RAILER, Looks like they can use a switcher for those MOW duties.....I think a 25 tonner just came on the market!! ;)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1022 seconds