Home Open Account Help 204 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Crozier Canyon help needed

Date: 07/01/02 13:10
Crozier Canyon help needed
Author: 43197

I'm on another visit to the California and Arizona area from late July and hope to visit the Crozier Canyon area for some photography. I've taken some pictures in the past from are area of Route 66 around the Valentine area, but one or two people have posted pictures and mentioned locations deep in the Canyon area. Is anyone able to help me with directions of how to get into the canyon. I will have a good 4x4 vehicle and i'm happy do go off road. I have the latest edition of the Delorme atlas, but this is not that detailed in the Canyon area. This is the only map available of the area here in the UK.

Any help would be very much welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Colin Marsden
Dawlish UK

Date: 07/01/02 13:26
Re: Crozier Canyon help needed
Author: 3rdswitch

Hello Colin,
I was just in Crozier last weekend. The roads into the Canyon are in excellent shape as of last weekend. It was also HOT! Bring plenty of water! If you have the same De Lorme I have, on page 29, lower right hand side, 2nd box from bottom and 4th box from right, the dashed red line going southeast from Hwy 66, north of Crozier, is the road that takes you INTO the Canyon. This is a gated, but unlocked, BLM road [Bureau of Land Management], there are TWO gates between Hwy 66 and the RR. What the map does NOT show, is, there is a dirt road that goes to the right immediately after passing under the RR underpass, THIS is the road that goes all the way into the middle of the Canyon. It has been reported, but I have not tried it, that if you follow the dashed line past, and then take the next dashed line to the right, it will take you up on the bluffs overlooking the Canyon with awesome views. On the Sunday I was there, early morning and late afternoon was VERY busy. I hope this has been of some help. Good luck.
Joe

Date: 07/01/02 13:42
Re: Crozier Canyon lodging

There is a rustic, [but closed last weekend?] Frontier Motel [phone 520-769-2238], only 5 miles east of the above mentioned entrance, up Hwy 66. Ten miles up Hwy 66, in Peach Springs, there is a nice Best Western, Hualpai Lodge? Be sure to ask for a room on the NORTH side or you will be up all night, as there is a RR crossing right on the south side that ALL trains blow incessently for!
Joe

Date: 07/01/02 14:04
where is this area
Author: jimlundquist55

what state - near what city?

Thx

Date: 07/01/02 14:15
Re: where is this area
Author: brettrw

jimlundquist55 wrote:

> what state - near what city?
>
> Thx
>
>

30 or so miles east of Kingman, AZ. Along Route 66.

Brett

Date: 07/01/02 14:40
Re:Here
Author: lrvto

Would that be this crossing next to this building? Never mind the fact that the locals drive around the gates.

Date: 07/01/02 14:44
Author: winks

I would not take the road to the top if alone, it is real bad in 2 spots. You need to get out of the car and look for where the road continues through 2 major washouts.

But if nuts, drunk, stoned, or just plain curious, this road heads up to the mesa in the vicinity of about a qtr mile south of the bridge.

And I feel the road to Canyon Diablo is pretty smooth.

Date: 07/01/02 15:41
Author: somewherewest

I concur about not taking the road up onto the high ground unless you have some help along to recover you if you get stuck. I was in there a few months ago and decided that Alamo would not be amused if I got stuck back there - or even if I rolled their 4X4 down the hill.

Warnings from folks who consider the road to Canyon Diablo smooth are to be heeded.

Chuck Donaldson
www.somewherewest.com

some Crozier pictures at:
http://www.somewherewest.com/Route66/Williams-Kingman/Kingman-Williams.html

Date: 07/02/02 09:39
Author: Lackawanna484

<<<<If you have the same De Lorme I have, on page 29, lower right hand side, 2nd box from bottom and 4th box from right, the dashed red line going southeast from Hwy 66, north of Crozier, is the road that takes you INTO the Canyon. This is a gated, but unlocked, BLM road [Bureau of Land Management], there are TWO gates between Hwy 66 and the RR. What the map does NOT show, is, there is a dirt road that goes to the right immediately after passing under the RR underpass, THIS is the road that goes all the way into the middle of the Canyon. It has been reported, but I have not tried it, that if you follow the dashed line past, and then take the next dashed line to the right, it will take you up on the bluffs overlooking the Canyon with awesome views. >>>

Is this distance hike-able? What kind of distance (miles?) are we talking about here?

Thanks

Date: 07/02/02 17:24

It is about 1 1/2 miles from Hwy 66, at BLM gate, to east entrance to the Canyon. It is about 2 miles through the Canyon. And, it is only about 1/3 mile from Hwy 66, at WEST end of the Canyon to the west entrance to the Canyon.
JB

Date: 07/03/02 01:44
Author: 43197

Thanks guys for all the help, I think i'll go rather careful. 'If' I get anything I post on my return. I've checked the map and can follow the directions.

Again many thanks.

Colin Marsden
Dawlish UK.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0551 seconds