Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Beauty of Desert Lighting

Date: 07/13/02 13:09
The Beauty of Desert Lighting
Author: ATSF100WEST

Good Afternoon' Everyone -

Just thought I'd share several slides with you, that illustrate the glorious lighting that can be seen ONLY in the desert......

The first train is a military special shown westbound at sunrise, with a quartet of four axle units, led by GP-35 2833. The train was photographed at Siberia, CA., on July 1, 1988. Yes, that IS an SP bay window caboose behind the power - another one was bringing up the rear.....

The next train is the westbound 588 Train, Santa Fe 5148 West, on November 14, 1987. The train is maintaining good track speed, as it assaults the 1.4% grade, here at Klondike, CA., mere moments after sunrise......

And last, but not least, as we milk the last rays of sunshine illuminating the vast Colorado River Valley, we see the Santa Fe 7416 West, approaching Klinefelter, CA., on what is probably the 189 Train......

Nothing Beats Desert Lighting!

Stay Cool!

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 07/13/02 16:22
Re: The Beauty of Desert Lighting
Author: chico

You're making me jealous ATSF100West, as I live in the great midwest. Speaking of desert light, for anyone who hasn't seen this site, check it out--Grumpy turned me on to it....

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

Date: 07/14/02 14:51
Re: The Beauty of Desert Lighting
Author: dash-9

I agree fully with your statement about desert lighting. would move there in a heartbeat if I could. My favorite places are between Barstow and Ludlow. Great photos too.

Doug Forness

Date: 07/16/02 14:08
And you can't beat the Santa Fe, either
Author: contrarian

Not only was the warbonnet the best paint scheme ever, there was also never a paint scheme that better complemented the territory through which it ran.

So there.

;-)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds