Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Napa-Yountville Shuttle

Date: 07/13/02 11:23
Napa-Yountville Shuttle
Author: bradleymckay

Can anyone provide information about this recent new operation in the Napa Valley (CA)? I understand they use an ex-SP RS11 on the shuttle train. I'll be up there next weekend and would like to know how often they operate. Also, which way is the short hood facing, north or south?

TIA

AM

Date: 07/13/02 12:31
Re: Napa-Yountville Shuttle
Author: sp4449

Yountville Shuttle Service Starts
Shuttle service to Yountville via the Napa Valley RR began May24 using Napa Valley Wine Train #62, a former California Western, and before that, Southern Pacific ALCo RS-11. No reservations required. This is the startup of the long-awaited “on-off” shuttle service, where folks can get on/off the train to suit their schedules and activities. NVRR has long wished to operate a scheduled service, where passengers could use the train as transportation within the Napa Valley, but has been stymied for years by NIMBY forces. This marks the beginning of that long hoped-for service, which hopefully will expand to more stops up and down the Napa Valley. To prevent traffic delays, the switches in Yountville can be thrown by engineer from the cab. Northbound Schedule
Dpt Napa - Arr Yountville
Sun 09:00 - 09:25
Mon-Sat 09:15 - 09:45
Mon-Fri 11:30 - 12:00
Sat & Sun 12:30 - 13:00
Daily 16:00 - 16:25
Sat & Sun 18:00 - 18:30
Mon- Fri 18:30 - 19:00

Southbound Schedule
Dpt Yountville / Arr Napa
Sun 11:00 - 11:30
Mon-Sat 10:00 - 10:30
Mon-Fri 14:00 - 14:30
Sat & Sun 15:00 - 15:30
Daily 16:45 - 17:15
Sat & Sun 20:30 - 21:00
Mon - Fri 21:00 - 21:30
Tickets available on board or at Napa station at 1275 McKinstry Street. For info you can call: (707) 253-2111 or (800) 427-4124.

Date: 07/13/02 12:33

From what I have been told, the unit is facing cab first heading north. Please keep in mind that this info is a month old.

~Bill Shippen
North/West Railfan magazine

Date: 07/13/02 14:41
Author: bobcochran

I wonder if the Napa Valley SNOBS hate this train as much as the Wine Train? My wife and I rode and had dinner on it for our 30th wedding anniversary
in 1994 and were greeted by the middle finger salute so many times, the servers were apologizing
for their infantile behavior.

Date: 07/13/02 14:52
Why do they hate the Wine Train?
Author: Freddie

Date: 07/13/02 16:34
Re: Why do they hate the Wine Train?
Author: stash

Answer: selfish people live in the area. They definitely want visitors to come and spend lots of money. Then promptly leave.

I think they feel that if people drive, they may spend more at local wineries. Drinking and driving: there's not much responsibility exercised by the wine companies and their tasting rooms, as you can tell.

A crowded Hwy. 29 and drivers full of alcohol makes for a more hazardous trip for all, even non drinkers.

The NVWT is a great experience, off the highway, and the food is excellent.

Date: 07/13/02 23:18
Shuttle Pic's
Author: spassmo

Here are some photos taken by John Rodgers of Napa. Used with permission.

Steve P...

Date: 07/14/02 00:54
RS-11 Direction/Comment...

Judging from looking at the Spassmo-posted pic's, is it a correct assumption that the unit faces cab front while running south? It's been so long since I shot NV, my failing memory won't allow a decisive thought... Just a whimsy, wouldn’t it be fun to paint the RS-11 in Black Widow and the coach in Lark two-tone for a nice one-day photo run? Yeah, I know, I should stop dreaming and get back to work... Just a thought from an Espee fan that missed the RS-11’s in “widow.”

~Bill Shippen
North/West Railfan

Date: 07/14/02 13:14
Re: Shuttle Pic's
Author: CZULEGET

What is the builders date on the passenger car and who was the original owner.??
Looks nicely restored.

Date: 07/14/02 19:52
cal west 56 (Image 31k)
Author: baldwins-12

Here's a photo of

CWR #56, a Baldwin RS-12.

Date: 07/14/02 20:16
Author: baldwins-12

Here's the Cal Western 63, low-nose RS11.

Date: 07/14/02 21:44
Author: flyingscottsman

I just got back from the NVRR Shuttle. It is a cool trip. It is a fun ride under ALCO power, and you may be the only party on the trian. For $12 an adult can take a train to Yountville, get off, shop, see the Napa Valley Museum (extra few bucks, but right now, great California landscapes) and get back on the train for your return to the Napa Station. There is a shuttle in Yountville to take you to the Museum about 1/2 a mile from the train stop. About a mile from the Museum is Vintage 1870 (a classy art, food, toys, etc. center worth the visit), and the shuttle takes you there also. Call the Chamber of Commerce for details. If you go, please stand in line with all the Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner Train people and simply say that you want the Yountville Shuttle. This looks and is much better than cutting in front of hundrededs of people getting the full food service. And, If you enjoy it, thank the crew; you may have been thier only paload.

Date: 07/15/02 01:04
Re: Shuttle Pic's

AFAIK, car was built for Northern Pacific, purchased by D&RGW for Ski Train service, sold with other cars to NVWT, rebuilt by Solano Railcar at the former WP roundhouse in Oroville CA. Strapac's Vol. 3 about Rio Grande diesels has the built dates and other details.

~Bill Shippen
North/West Railfan

Date: 07/15/02 20:45
Author: flyingscottsman

I took a shuttle up to Yountville that was part of the Napa Valley Wine Train (hence the line to board)and took a dedicaded Yountville Shuttle train on the way back (one loco, one car), so look carefully for which train you want. Compare Wine Train times with Shuttle times.

Date: 05/16/15 07:38
Author: octrax

For those who aren't familiar with "military time", subtract 12 from the listed times between 1300 - 2130, and that becomes your pm.  For example:  2100 = 9 pm.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0831 seconds