Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Golden Spike Tower

Date: 01/29/08 09:15
UP Golden Spike Tower
Author: schmo

http://www.goldenspiketower.com/index.cfm

As you may know, UP is constructing an observation tower at Bailey Yard in North Platte for public use. What is the view like from the tower? Is it unobstructed?

Thanx!
--Schmo

Date: 01/29/08 09:29
Re: UP Golden Spike Tower
Author: BNSF9647

Union Pacific is building that? I thought it was another group? Cool to see it go up....too bad it is on the wrong side of the tracks for photos of trains. Nothing like shooting into the sun. :)

~Matthew

Date: 01/29/08 10:11
Author: papio

My understanding is that this is a community effort which has received contributions from individuals and corporations (including UP) as well as federal grant money to finally get the tower going.

Date: 01/29/08 10:14
Author: billio

BNSF9647 asks:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Union Pacific is building that? I thought it was
> another group? Cool to see it go up....

My (admittedly limited) understanding of the project is that a non-profit group headquartered in North Platte is funding and operating the tower. Since it rests on property (here I'm guessing) leased from the railroad, it seems pretty clear that there's no way it could have been built without the explicit sign-off (meaning approval) of UP.

A not-so-casual glance through the website of the entity constructing/operating the tower strongly suggests that TOURISM seems the prime motivation to construct it. Interestingly, the website did not (or I missed) any verbiage that explains who/what that entity is, explicitly what its goal is, or how the construction is being funded (I'm guessing that the Union Pacific Foundation may be a major underwriter here, but hey! I'm just a bumpkin from Virginia so whaddo I know?).

Anyone in the know who can supplement what I've surmised at is welcome to comment. --billio

By the way, it seems interesting enough to me that if I ever reach North Platte from Sunny Cape Coral, Florida, my retirement home and an effing DESERT as far as real railroads are concerned, I'll gladly fork over the entry fee to tour the tower.

Date: 01/29/08 10:14
Author: KimHeusel

BNSF9647 Wrote:
> another group? Cool to see it go up....too bad it
> is on the wrong side of the tracks for photos of
> trains. Nothing like shooting into the sun. :)
>
> ~Matthew

Union Pacific is not building it. A tourism group in North Platte is. Regarding which side of the tracks it's on: I would think the south side, which is where it's being built, would be best in the long run.

Date: 01/29/08 10:29
Author: papio

At one time the proposed site was on the north side of the yard, however the tower is being built on the south side of the yard.

Date: 01/29/08 11:14
Author: KoloradoKid

The map on the web site does indeed show the location as on the South side of the yard just East of the engine shops. While you will be able to see a lot of what's going on, many sites will be too far away for detail photos.

Grand opening is now expected in March of 2008. Visitng the web site is amazingly fantastic. They have done a great job and the site is full of information and links to other sites. Well worth a few minutes of your time.

KK

Date: 01/29/08 12:48
Author: Pj

If you travel along the road that goes by the disesl shop, it is just across the parking lot to the east of it, and next to the downslope of the hump, on the south side.

I have only been thru the area once, and wasn't able to explore the area in detail. When I was there in late Aug, the frame was up and the platform was not up. I think its suppose to be open this year. From what I gathered, the project was going pretty quick.

It will be interesting to see whats going to be inside. Dispatcher displays and the like would be neat, sorta like the ATC setup at the Smithoian (sp) tower at Dulles airport.

Date: 01/29/08 19:44
Author: RustyRayls

BNSF9647 Wrote:
> another group? Cool to see it go up....too bad it
> is on the wrong side of the tracks for photos of
> trains. Nothing like shooting into the sun. :)
>
> ~Matthew

It ain't on the "wrong" side! It is on the south side of the yard. The morning shot of the engine service facility will be excellent. I just hope that the hours will be flexible enough for good morning and late afternoon shots. I'll provide a first hand report in late September.

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 01/30/08 05:43
Author: BNSF9647

Oops....last I had heard it was going on the north side. I guess maybe next time I should actually visit the site and see where it was before I inserted my foot. :) Very cool that it is on the south side!!!

~Matthew

chuchubobnv Wrote:
> BNSF9647 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Union Pacific is building that? I thought it
> was
> > another group? Cool to see it go up....too bad
> it
> > is on the wrong side of the tracks for photos
> of
> > trains. Nothing like shooting into the sun.
> :)
> >
> > ~Matthew
>
> It ain't on the "wrong" side! It is on the south
> side of the yard. The morning shot of the engine
> service facility will be excellent. I just hope
> that the hours will be flexible enough for good
> morning and late afternoon shots. I'll provide a
> first hand report in late September.
>
> Old Bob out in Lost Wages

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.072 seconds