Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CN Restricts Service in Western Canada

Date: 01/30/08 12:21
CN Restricts Service in Western Canada
Author: TWROPR

Just read that CN announced reduced freight service in most areas of Western Canada due to extreme cold and wind conditions.
Whereas US roads have been responding to severe winter weather similarly for years, this is the first I've heard of a Canadian rr cutting back. Thought the Canadian railways continued to provide all-weather service.
Any thoughts of comments?

Andy

Date: 01/30/08 13:23
Re: CN Restricts Service in Western Canada
Author: DILWORTH

BNSF keeps them rolling thru the dakotas just as cold their...

Date: 01/30/08 13:26
Author: JWR

Already been lifted west of Edmonton, Alberta. Trains started to run again around 1200 MST. Think of it the same way as the UP Houston meltdown, but this was caused by long trains and air problems. Not sure why they think they can pump air through 10000' of train when it is -39C. They start to reduce train lengths after the cold weather hits not before.

Date: 01/30/08 14:07
Author: Ray_Murphy

JWR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not sure why they think they can pump air through
> 10000' of train when it is -39C. They start to
> reduce train lengths after the cold weather hits
> not before.

What has happened to the use of air repeater cars in these circumstances?

Ray

Date: 01/30/08 14:18
Author: BNSF_Pimp

I think CN is about to start building more...

Date: 01/30/08 14:40
Author: BobE

BNSF_Pimp Wrote:
> I think CN is about to start building more...

Why? Ain't them boys heard of global warming?

BobE

Date: 01/30/08 15:43
Author: WAF

SP didn't have much success with theirs in the 70s

Date: 01/30/08 15:51
Author: ssafy

I think CN is spooked by derailments ,so better safe than sorry. They just don't need the heat anymore

Date: 01/30/08 15:53
Author: BlackWidow

I am just outside of Edmonton right now, and on Tuesday morning in the industrial park in the Fort Saskatewan area, it hit -40 C (that is the magical temperature where you don't have to say "F" or "C" because it is the same temperatrue - and it is just too damn cold!!). However, I did hear trains running on the CN line here on Tuesday, and there was train moving this morning when it was -28F. I too was wondering what it must like to be a railroader in weather like this. Not a pleasant job.

Date: 01/30/08 21:15
Author: truxtrax

Ray_Murphy Wrote:
<snip>
> What has happened to the use of air repeater cars
> in these circumstances?
>
> Ray

In the States they've been replaced by DPU's

Butch,,,,,and they push too!

Date: 01/31/08 06:09
Author: MAB

Yeah, a 10,000 ft train with DPU's either at the end or in the middle should respond to cold air leakage like a 5,000 ft train with only head end power. Not much need for air repeater cars when you've got a couple of 4400hp "air repeaters" tacked into the middle or end of train.

Date: 01/31/08 09:35
Author: rehunn

Having just done a basic Fluid Power class for our guys in KC (all while three high hood NS GP-38's were
switching across the street) I can tell you that when you go from fairly warm compressed air in the units
to those dead cold cars the dewpoint drops like crazy. As the dewpoint drops so water precips out of the
air and freezes causing ice at the pressure drop areas aka gladhands, triple valves, etc. Not good. The
advantage of the mid train DPU and/or repeaters is that they tend to warm the air line during applications
reducing the freezing potential. You all passed, now go to lunch.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds