Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Whereizit?

Date: 07/25/02 03:28
Whereizit?
Author: funnelfan

Ah, here is one that's a little bit harder. See if you can figure out where this photo was taken? bonus if you know which way the train is going.

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@icehouse.net

Date: 07/25/02 06:15
Re: Whereizit?
Author: cdub

Somewhere on UP's Washy line between Spokane and Hinkle. The train is headed south. Maybe it's a QEDRV.

Chris

Date: 07/25/02 06:21
Author: jdb

Ayer Sub between Wallula and Hinkle. mp195-200. From hwy OR37. Southbound. mid afternoon.
jb

Date: 07/25/02 06:40
Author: track_69

Near Ankeny, WA. The train is in decline (SB).

Date: 07/25/02 07:18
Author: NORAC

Indecline Idaho?

Date: 07/25/02 08:38
Author: pmack

My lovely wife to be recognized it as Hooper, WA, northbound, on the Washy of course.

Date: 07/25/02 09:45
Author: ENRailway

Almost looks like the train is somewhere in the Okanagan, near Kamloops maybe.

ENR

Date: 07/25/02 11:03
Author: nscalemike

Canada eh?...since I rarely railfan out of SoCal...thats the best I can do.

Date: 07/25/02 11:22
Author: WestinAshahr

Almost looks like a northbound dropping down off the Oregon Trunk line.

Date: 07/25/02 14:47
Author: C44AC

Pmack's wife has to be right.....Hooper headed towards Spokane.

Date: 07/25/02 15:06
Hooper?
Author: track_69

If it's Hooper, where is the access road to this spot? I've heard Funnelfan doesn't like to walk or hike where there are critters that go rattle-rattle.

Date: 07/25/02 16:47
Re: Hooper?
Author: pmack

A map of the area courtesy Topozone. The red + marks the spot the photo was taken.

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=11&n=5179517&e=412176&s=25

unfortunately for people who like to watch trains the BN was removed in the early 1990s.

Date: 07/25/02 23:12
Re: Hooper?
Author: funnelfan

This is pathetic, a girl got it right before any of the railfans did. How can we live with such shame?! Just Kidding! :^)

pmack, if she has that good of a eye for a railroad scene, it sounds like you have a real winner there.

Yes this is a northbound MHKET last saturday just out of Hooper Junction. The track begins a steep climb as soon as it crosses the Palouse River. there is a interchange yard below the mainline where the old UP/NP branch to Connell used to take off toward the west via a why that passed under the mainline. The wye still exists and that is where the Blue Mountain Railroad parks it's power. The other line goes to Colfax and what's left of the ex-UP branchlines. this system used to be known as the Palouse River Railroad, but is now simply BLMR's northern division. In the photo the town is just out of the photo to the left, and the interchange yard is straight ahead but hidden by the ridge the train is hugging.

Pmack also had the exact spot marked on his map were I too the photo from. The access road the the yard is just to the right out of the photo (I ain't walking through no tall grass in that snake infested region). Behind me the tracks enter a long cut that has two overpasses. In a few more miles the train will pass through a tunnel that ducks under one end of the old SP&S Cow Creek trestle (the BN line shown on the map).

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@icehouse.net

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds