Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UK Visitors: Mid West/PRB weather in April????

Date: 02/07/08 14:33
UK Visitors: Mid West/PRB weather in April????
Author: rugbytown

Myself and Jason Harris of UK model shop 'The Sidings (formerly of Tamworth) will be coming over to the mid west for 10 days from March 31st. We are flying in to Chicago, hiring an SUV, visiting a fellow TO member in Kansas City for a few days then heading out towards the Powder River Basin.

We are hoping to take the following route:

Chicago - Transcon - KC (2 or 3 day stay) - Lincoln, NE, - Grand Island - Gibbon Jnc - North Platte - Scottsbluff - Douglas - PRB - Newcastle - Crawford - Alliance - Ravenna Sub - Grand Island - Omaha - Des Moines - Davenport - Chicago....

... all in 10 days. I've done most of this before in 5 days, driving alone.

My question is, what sort of weather should I expect in Nebraska and Eastern Wyoming in early April? Will the snow have cleared up by then and are any roads likely to be closed off along our route?

Date: 02/07/08 15:03
Re: UK Visitors: Mid West/PRB weather in April????
Author: papio

Be prepared for a mixed bag. Days can be warm with cold nights. It can be very chilly with showers. Have also seen significant snows in Omaha in April, they don't last long but they'll create big problems.

Date: 02/07/08 15:07
Author: fbe

It will be blustery with days of some strong winds. There will be some rainy days as well. The snow will be gone from all the roads you will likely encounter. The 4WD vehicle is really not necessary so long as you stay on the roads though some unpaved roads may be muddy. Unless you have some experience with 4WD it may be more of a detriment in such situations since it can get you more stuck, tow truck stuck.

This sounds like a good trip with lots of railfanning adventures. There is no need for winter parkas and such but bring some heavy weight flannel or denium shirts. Also a medium weight sweater to layer over the shirt. A medium weight jacket with a lining big enough to wear over a fleece type vest or jacket and a light rain jacket and you will be set for any weather you will encounter. The rain jacket makes a great wind breaker and the denium shirt can double as a jacket in warmer days. Hiking type shoes or boots work well in wet grass and the mud. A hat is required and the hood of a sweat shirt or rain jacket will help keep your ears warm in the wind. Think about the coastal areas of Scotland or Ireland in the blustery season and bring clothes for that kind of weather as well as for 80F days, calm and clear. You will probably get to see them all.

Date: 02/07/08 15:12
Author: Android

It's going to have be pretty heavy snow to close roads.
Mixed bag of weather is right. Here's what we had here in Douglas last year for weather for first 2 weeks of April:

Date: 02/07/08 15:12

Flippin eck! Sounds like a right fashion show! I did Nebraska and the PRB in Sept 06 and experienced the lot: golf ball sized hail, twisters, sideways rain - so I'm kinda prepared for that. I was mainly worried that roads would be shut because of snow.

Pics here http://rugbytownusa.fotopic.net

Rugby
UK

Date: 02/07/08 15:17
Author: KB6GZ

Wyoming and South Dakota know how to plow snow so the roads won't be closed for long if at all. Now Texas, that's another matter.

Speaking of snow, I was trapped on a snowbound train between Gatwick and Victoria a few years back. No one there even had a snow shovel.

Rick

Date: 02/07/08 15:21

Oh yes. A few cm of snow over here and the country falls apart, even in Scotland where it snows quite a lot. Still no white Christmas since 1981 though!

Date: 02/07/08 15:36
Author: fbe

If you had the proper clothing to keep comfortable in Sept with the weather you described then bring that attire back this time as well. Generally the blizzards which can cripple Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska and the Dakotas are gone by March. Anything like that which might hit in April would be very well announced with plenty of time for you to change the trip plans to avoid the problems. Since you have already do the speed railfan version of the trip you have a pretty good idea of which unpaved roads which might be problematic during heavy rains. You may find April to be a lot like September but greener if the sun has been shining at all.

Date: 02/07/08 16:25
Author: PumpkinHogger

Bring your anoraks!!!

Bet I know why you're going to Newcastle....

Date: 02/07/08 16:53
Author: a737flyer

PumpkinHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bring your anoraks!!!

Yeah...er...what?

Oh...Googled it...that's funny!

Date: 02/07/08 17:06
Author: Yarddogh

Why March ?? ...... zzzzzzzzz 'Dogh

Date: 02/08/08 03:13

PumpkinHogger Wrote:
> Bring your anoraks!!!
>
> Bet I know why you're going to Newcastle....

Its a junction in the road fella! Thats all. One horse town if you ask me. I doubt they actally sell bottles of Brown there!!!

Oh and bring your anorak when you come here in a couple of weeks too! Haha!

Date: 02/08/08 03:14

Yarddogh Wrote:
> Why March ?? ...... zzzzzzzzz 'Dogh

Because that when my rostered annual leave is 'Dogh. I won't be making it over to the Bay Area this year I don't think. But don't fret, I will make it to the FRC with your help eventually!

Rugby

Date: 02/08/08 05:53
Author: MAB

One thing about 4x4, if you have a true 4x4 and not AWD, you drive in 2wd until you're stuck then use 4wd to get yourself out!

Date: 02/08/08 15:00
Author: Android

fbe Wrote:
> Generally the
> blizzards which can cripple Colorado, Wyoming,
> Nebraska and the Dakotas are gone by March.

Well we sure had one last March 29th.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0589 seconds