Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Great Railroad Artists - Who's Left?

Date: 07/30/02 10:11
Great Railroad Artists - Who's Left?
Author: cdub

After seeing news of Ted Rose's passing, I pondered the question concerning great railroad artists that remain. Since the greats Ted Rose and Howard Fogg are no longer with us, is there anyone else left as great as they were in painting the railroads? Who will pick up the torch?

Date: 07/30/02 10:20
Re: Great Railroad Artists - Who's Left?
Author: chilli

Ron Hatch, of Knox Station Bed and Rails, Knoxville IL. If you've seen his work for Galesburg RR days, and commisioned works of art, not to mention T shirts and stuff,

HE's THE MAN !!!

Might be a good time to try booking a night at the B&B that's right next to the old ATSF transcon just east of Galesburg IL. Watch trains from the deck/hot tub/BBQ area, and view his artistic works in progress. Make sure you ask about the "lady with torches / pasties " in the stairway...

Pat Flynn
KC MO

Date: 07/30/02 10:26
Author: switchlock

Gil Bennett, who has been influenced by Fogg, has a site at http://www.xmission.com/~ghb4884/home.html

Date: 07/30/02 10:38
Author: amtkrd4man

Doesn't Craig Thorpe quilfy??

Date: 07/30/02 11:04
Author: olddude41

Three come to mind.

First, John Winfield of Fort Worth, Texas turns out some outstanding rail art. So does Robert West. And let's not forget our own UPRRPR, John Bromley.

I own prints by all three and enjoy them all.

Larry W. Grant
(olddude41)
Dallas, Texas

Date: 07/30/02 11:04
Author: Kurisd14

Anyone who takes up the brush or pencil is to be admired. There are many unknown artists who do great work out there who will probably long remain anonymous. It is so difficult to be elevated to Ted Rose's or Howard Fogg's status and many who paint trains do it for the love of both Railroads and the art's

Andy g

Date: 07/30/02 11:20
Author: GeoAngel

John Signor. I saw some of his work for sale at the SFRH&MS convention in San Bernardino earlier this month. I would enjoy having some of his work gracing the walls of my home,but unfortunately it's out of my price range. He's a awesome railroad artist.

George,
Fontana,Cal.

Date: 07/30/02 11:56
Author: Skonk

Artists in the Narrow gauge side of the House.

Jan Rons
www.ronsartgraphics.com

John Hugh Coker
www.rrart.com

Date: 07/30/02 12:43
Author: dickpalmer

There was, of course, only one Howard Fogg. . . but there sure are a lot of Fogg-influenced folks out there. Bennett and Danneman, chief among em.

I preferred Rose's style as being different of all the other railroad artists. He was equally talented recreating a scene from the 1880s as he was painting semi-trucks and BN SD40-2's on Highway 287 on the FW&D. . .

he was, from what I could tell, a master of watercolor, exploiting this form of expression with his looser style that injected so much more passion and emotion into his work than the more literal paint-by-photograph artists.

Another artist I really enjoyed, interestingly a water color guy, with Mike Pearsall.

I think John Winfield really has the potential to join the Foggs and Rose's, now that his style is becoming far more focused.
dp

Date: 07/30/02 13:16
Author: 2ebright

I can only second the previous mention of John Hugh Coker. His work on western, especially Colorado, narrow gauge subjects is unmatched in my opinion. I can only thank my good judgement when I had him paint a Uintah Ry. subject for me.

Dick
Roosvelt, Utah

Date: 07/30/02 14:27
Author: zephyrus

And let's not forget Mike Kotowski. His paintings for the Orchard Supply calendars in years past are well known in California.

Date: 07/30/02 14:54
Author: jlosal

Jim Jordan (remember that name for sure)
Larry Fisher. Of course these are eastern guys that the west don't know.

Date: 07/30/02 15:28
Re: Great Railroad Artists - --UPRRPR
Author: CarolVoss

Maybe because John Bromley isn't a full time artist and doesn't have a large body of work, calendar prints etc., he is being overlooked here. I had no idea of his talent until I walked into the Company Store in the UP headquarters in Omaha 4 years ago and saw some of his works hanging there.
I have since bought 3 reproductions of his paintings---I say reproductions because I had a long in-person lecture by Ted Rose himself, in his studio, about what a print is and is not---for all of his wonderful talent, Mr. Rose was a very opinionated curmudgeon. You can see John Bromley's work on the www.railhistoryprints website. Matter of fact, in a few weeks, John Bromley will be shipping to us his most recently completed painting which we commissioned, Daylight in Coyote----showing the 4449 rounding Tulare Hill in Coyote in the early '50's, steaming away, passing the water tank, Coyote station and prune trees in full blossom--it is absolutely wonderful and we are most anxious to get it and hang it here in our family room.
C.

Date: 07/30/02 18:51
Re: Great Railroad Artists - --UPRRPR
Author: CShaveRR

Let me be the first to second (!) the nomination by Chilli of Ron Hatch.

His stuff hasn't gotten out beyond the Midwest too much, I guess, but anyone who's been to Galesburg knows of it.

And he and his wife Rita are great hosts at their B&B--and both knowledgeable.
Unfortunately, Ron lost his "day job" recently (before our stay there in May), and if new employment doesn't come in the Galesburg area, Knox Station will be no more... you go where the work is.

Date: 07/30/02 19:07
Re: Great Railroad Artists - Who's Left?Name please
Author: oldrail

how about putting the artist's name in the subject line?

Saves reading thru a bunch of posts.

Same thing applies to other posting amswers.

Just a thought/request "Please"

Date: 07/30/02 19:42
Author: Maximus

I have always been impressed by John Hugh Coker. He excels both in the world of railroad art and also displays his mechanical ability as an engineer on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad.

Date: 07/30/02 20:54
Author: Goatboat

Surprised no one has mentioned Rod Aszman. His "Super Chief" hangs in our living room.

- gb -

Date: 08/01/02 16:28
1. John Signor 2. John Winfield 3. Rod Azsman 4. Mike P
Author: ATSF100WEST

,and 6, Gil Bennett. 1, 2, & 3, are damn near interchangeable, IMHO.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 11/11/06 21:34
Author: gman1

for anyone who has had the good fortune to meet John Winfield, he is as generous and kind a man to meet (as is his wife) as Ted Rose was a curmudgeon

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds