Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Camping at Donner??

Date: 08/16/02 18:25
Camping at Donner??
Author: gubbins

Does anyone have any suggestions for good tent type camping locations (campgrounds) on the west side of the Donner summit? Looking for a spot up the hill to take my family on an quick overnite camp trip. Any info much appreciated.

Tim G

Date: 08/16/02 18:37
Re: Camping at Donner??
Author: tcnr

State Campground at Donner Lake is pretty cool, lots of good sound effects but not too close. There's also some campgrounds before the Norden off ramps, on the frontage roads just below the SP RoW, look good to me but I haven't stayed there. Might be busy this time of year.
Next one I've heard of is Rollins Lake, not sure about that one. It's just above Colfax. Then there's a KOA outside of Rocklin on the old road from Roseville towards Newcastle, not far from the tracks. That one might be better as an RV campout.
If you find a good one let us know.

Date: 08/16/02 19:00
Author: samreeves

There's a USFS at Eagle Lakes (Shed 10) and also at Cisco.

Date: 08/16/02 19:05
Author: stevej2001

It's not exactly camping, but an excellent choice is the Clair Tappan Lodge in Norden. It's run by the Sierra Club and is basically dormitory sleeping with some meals provided. I thinkt here are a few family sized rooms. It's very cheap. I've not been there in years but I know it's still in operation.

It's just a few hundred yards from the pass (west of the pass) up the hill on the north side. You could see the tracks from the Lodge through the trees.

Of course, if you don't like environmentalists, this isn't the place for you. However, some thoughtful environmentalists (like me) see the obvious advantage to rail over trucking.

Some times, in the old days, folks at the lodge would be offered tours of the old Norden SP facility, so at least then the place was on good terms with the railroad.

Date: 08/16/02 19:55
WEB site for Lodge at Donner
Author: 3rail

Date: 08/16/02 20:36
Re: WEB site for Lodge at Donner
Author: top_bullfrog

I just got back from camping at emigrant gap yesterday. It is the north fork campground with nice waterfalls and you can hear the trains at night. It's about 5 Mi from the tracks though so you're not likely to see anything. To get there, take 80 to emigrant gap. Go towards the gap where you will soon pass a school. Keep going on that road for about 5 mi and you'll see the campground on the right.

Date: 08/16/02 22:17
Author: ctxm

There's one near the tracks somewhere around Cisco,can't remember its name.The Donner lake campgroud is very nice too,my kids like the lake for swimming and the railroad is only a short drive up the dirt road to coldstream canyon or west to the summit or east to truckee....dave

Date: 08/16/02 23:05
Author: FiveChime

Casa Loma. Alta exit then east on south side of I-80. Cross the tracks and go up the hill. There is a little portion of the Tahoe Forest with a simple campground on top of the hill. Can't see the trains but you can hear them working up the grade eastbound and in dynamic westbound. Also the Casa Loma Road grade crossing if you like to hear the horns.

Date: 08/17/02 07:45
Thank You !!
Author: gubbins

Thank you all for the info-
I knew you'd have the skinny-

Off we go to the hill!

Tim G

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0541 seconds