Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > DRGW 61315

Date: 04/29/08 14:52
DRGW 61315
Author: lizzard_45

Saw this car on a train today, UP headed west [to Las Vegas] from Provo, Ut. The DRGW 61315 was stenciled on an old Golden West Service plug door box car. Is UP using the DRGW reporting marks an any other non DRGW equipment?

Paul, I didn't have my camera with me at the time, Liddiard

Date: 04/29/08 15:14
Re: DRGW 61315
Author: RyanWilkerson

I believe many of the Golden West Service cars are being relettered/numbered back the original number so I've been seeing a lot of blue SSW, SP and DRGW running around lately. It's hard to tell if they are using the exact original number but it looks to be the case.

Here's a big pile of GWS but I don't have any DRGW posted yet, just SP and SSW:
http://www.shastarails.com/photos/gallery.asp?ID=1&tl=82

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 04/29/08 23:38
Detail shots of DRGW 50624
Author: gobbl3gook

Here's a couple of the DRGW 50624, shot in Suisun Jct, March '06.

Somehow I really fancy the DRGW lettering on the Golden West cars.

Ted in Vancouver

Date: 04/30/08 00:00
Re: Detail shots of DRGW 50624
Author: RyanWilkerson

Here is 50841 heading east through Rocklin, CA.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 04/30/08 06:53
Author: lizzard_45

Thanks, Ryan!

It seems that we get caught up with what's happening with the head-end power, that we forget what happens to the freight cars.
The patch or repaint a loco, ther's an out cry, the repaint or patch a frieght car, who notices?
I hadn't realized that the GWS plan was still in effect when the Grande bought the SP in '88.
Apparently there were several D&RGW cars that got dipped in blue paint, and now are getting their DRGW reporting marks and numbers back. Too bad they aren't getting the Action Road paint schemes back too!!
Paul H. Liddiard

Date: 04/30/08 10:13
Author: WW

DRGW is now just another reporting mark for UP. They can use it on any car they own, regardless of the car's heritage. Same with MP, SP, etc., etc.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0669 seconds