Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Moffat Sub On The Summer Solstice

Date: 06/21/08 20:25
UP Moffat Sub On The Summer Solstice
Author: mojaveflyer

In order to celebrate the Summer Solstice (longest day of the year - they start growing shorter until the winter solstice Dec 21) I decided to head up on UP's Moffat Sub between Denver and the Moffat Tunnel. I had a pretty good day for investing about 3 1/2 hours on the hill...

Photo #1- I caught an eastbound UP manifest - I believe it was the MRONY at Crescent siding and as he came by me the DS told him he would wait for the Ski Train to run around him since he couldn't get the east switch of the siding to clear. The background was provided by the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains.

Photo #2- After a 20 minute wait, the Ski Train came around the corner. I was a little surprised it had no dome car on it today.

Photo #3- This looked like a really nice way to spend the afternoon.

More to follow...

Date: 06/21/08 20:34
Re: UP Moffat Sub On The Summer Solstice
Author: KoloradoKid

And tomorrow, you get the 1989 coming east with the Operation Life Saver train!

KK

Date: 06/21/08 20:37
Author: mojaveflyer

After visiting with a couple of guys from the right coast (east coast) I headed up to Cliff to see what kind of shot I could get of a couple of westbounds that met the manifest and the Ski Train farther down the hill. I was treated to a meet at Cliff between Amtrak #6 and a westbound BNSF manifest (I'm guessing the MDENPRO - Denver - Provo) with a pair of DPUs at Cliff and then I headed down the hill myself. I heard #6 was not too far behind me so I headed over to Leyden to try a shot 'Frontrange' had posted (thanks for the idea, Kevin!) for the last shots of the day. All in all, not a bad way to celebrate the Summer Solstice - beats human sacrifices, anyway!

Photo #4- BNSF 5329 leads the MDENPRO in to the siding at Cliff to meet Amtrak #6. The sun really looked good when I didn't have a train going by...

Photo #5- The MDENPRO's DPUs shove past the head end of Amtrak #6 as the 'co-engineer' climbs back in to the cab to continue their trip to Denver.

Photo #6- Amtrak #6 rolls by the house track at Leyden siding as the sun hides behind another bank of clouds. A very satisfying way to spend a summer afternoon without using much gas.

Thanks for looking!

Date: 06/22/08 13:53
Author: ProAmtrak

Well worth the trip!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0593 seconds