Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF trains through Edmond, OK - how many daily?

Date: 08/06/08 11:52
BNSF trains through Edmond, OK - how many daily?
Author: janderton

My wife and I just moved to Edmond, OK, and enjoy it very much - especially railfanning the BNSF going through town - apprx. how many BNSF trains go through Edmond each day? And is Guthrie, OK a better place to trainwatch? Thanks. Bill Anderton.

Date: 08/06/08 12:12
Re: BNSF trains through Edmond, OK - how many daily?
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I think the count is something like 25 a day. Personally,I find
Guthrie a much nicer spot to watch 'em than Edmond, what with the
Santa Fe depot there and all.

Date: 08/06/08 12:54
Author: millerdc

Old depot in Guthrie has restaurant and HO layout. Also have lunch at Grandma Did It (closed on Sundays).

Date: 08/06/08 17:05
Author: EastKSRailfan

My Edmond railfan friend thinks 15 per day would be a more likely number, but he spends more time trackside in the Flint Hills on the busy Emporia Sub than he does trackside in Edmond. Let us know what you find based on your experience along the line. I'm curious.

Carl Graves (former Edmond resident), Lawrence, KS

Date: 08/06/08 18:10
Author: TPWman

I live in Edmond and it seems more like 20 or so in 24 hours.More at night than in the day.

Date: 08/06/08 20:20
Author: billywa

23-28 I think is a fair bet. With at least 3 sets of Zs each way, a pair of Roadrailers, and a pair of UP trackage rights train each day, you're already at 10 before you start figuring in grain trains, V trains, M trains, locals, and whatever H trains and extras may roll by.

For reference, one can check this:

http://www.ottergoose.net/traintracker/

It was a rudimentary train tracker based in Norman (south of Edmond) on the Red Rock sub that, if you work out the averages, saw 24-30 trains a day, depending on the day of the week. Subtract two each day for Amtrak (which doesn't go as far north as Edmond)...

YMMV

billywa

Date: 08/06/08 21:07
Author: TPWman

billywa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 23-28 I think is a fair bet. With at least 3 sets
> of Zs each way, a pair of Roadrailers, and a pair
> of UP trackage rights train each day, you're
> already at 10 before you start figuring in grain
> trains, V trains, M trains, locals, and whatever H
> trains and extras may roll by.
>
> For reference, one can check this:
>
> http://www.ottergoose.net/traintracker/
>
> Subtract two
> each day for Amtrak (which doesn't go as far north
> as Edmond)...
>
> YMMV
>
> billywa

But they are working on that.
Windle

Date: 08/06/08 21:57
Author: BNSFDS

The average is between 25 and 30 depending on how grain is running and day of the week. Later in the week, the higher number of trains. 4 Z trains except on Sunday and Monday when only 2 run. A pair of roadrailers run 5 days per week. Several H and M trains as well as vehicle trains. Right now, UP is running around 3trains per day due to trackwork on their former Rock Island main south of Chickasha.

If you want to see a higher volume of trains, head north to Perry where the Avard Sub adds another 15 to 20 trains.

Steve G.
2nd Shift DS-21

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0465 seconds