Home Open Account Help 172 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP and metrolink collision

Date: 09/14/08 18:33
UP and metrolink collision
Author: lui459

here is the second locomotive that was in the accident at chatsworth with the metrolink and does any body know why the covered the UP symbol and the locomotive number

Date: 09/14/08 18:35
Re: UP and metrolink collision
Author: CNW534

Looks like they're trying to preserve evidence.

Date: 09/14/08 18:37
Author: QU25C

bad advertising

Date: 09/14/08 18:39
Author: dwalker

Railroads always do this.

Date: 09/14/08 18:48
Author: seligman_guy

Oh gosh golly gee whiz! I wonder what railroad this possibly could be since they covered up the name and logos. Boy, they got me stumped!

PS: My comment was not meant to be disrespectful to crew members and or passengers who were injured or killed. Covering over the logo, however, is perhaps the most childish act I have seen in a long time and the moron that did so gets my full contempt. What possible useful purpose could that serve? If they are covering up the overt and obvious what else are they covering up?

Date: 09/14/08 18:49
Author: HistoryBuff

Windows and cab were smashed, it is probably covered to protect the interior electronics that may still be ok from weather damage.

There was a wreck at Yarmony Colorado a few years back and the cab on the engine was wrapped in sheet metal at Burnham before they shipped it out to be repaired.

HB

Date: 09/14/08 18:53
Author: NEEBAR

Where is the " DO NOT OCCUPY " ? Or is that obvious.

Date: 09/14/08 19:04
Author: CarolVoss

seligman_guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh gosh golly gee whiz! I wonder what railroad
> this possibly could be since they covered up the
> name and logos. Boy, they got me stumped!
>
> PS: My comment was not meant to be disrespectful
> to crew members and or passengers who were injured
> or killed. Covering over the logo, however, is
> perhaps the most childish act I have seen in a
> long time and the moron that did so gets my full
> contempt. What possible useful purpose could that
> serve? If they are covering up the overt and
> obvious what else are they covering up?

They are covering up the units to preserve the evidence. They are also covering up the units to preserve their image---------nothing the matter with that. Airlines do it after crashes so that the demolished planes won't have their logo blared everywhere. Same with the railroads. It isn't childish. They just don't want the images repeated over and over on tv etc. EVeryone knows it was a Metrolink and UP crash. They just don't need to have the curious and ghoulish out there taking pics of the locos to post all over the world and reinforce the fact of this disaster, no matter who was at fault. This is no conspiracy. It's just "business". The way of the world. Like it or not. You know what is under the tarp,, so what's the problem??
C.

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 09/14/08 20:01
Author: webmaster

Were these photos taken at Oxnard?

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 09/14/08 20:20
Author: Jaanfo

I believe the road number is covered when the unit is taken off the active roster. Otherwise it just seems UP doesn't want their name to become synonymous with collisions.

Date: 09/14/08 21:34
Author: SantaFeRuss

Union Pacific is simply covering up the damage to the locomotive to protect the electronics and to possibly preserve any evidence. Not to cover up the logo.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 09/14/08 22:05
Author: smitty195

I'm not no sure that it is covered as evidence in this case. The reason I say this is because I do not see any evidence seals and/or tags, and the area is not protected (at least, as far as I can see in the photos----maybe it is protected out of camera shot). If it truly is "evidence", then a chain of custody has to be in place.....and a chain of custody can not take place unless it is sealed by an authority (such as NTSB or law enforcement). To cover up something with a big tarp and tie it down does not legally meet the qualifications of evidence---it just protects the interior from the elements.

I will guess that the evidence for that specific locomotive has already been obtained (event recorder, numerous photos, measurements, video documentation by an evidence tech, and so forth). UP might now be "preserving" it (as opposed to holding it as evidence) for the legal action that will eventually take place.

Date: 09/14/08 22:13
Author: PWB

That is UP 8491 trailing unit in MetroLink crash. I saw it at Oxnard this morning before it was covered. Guess one of the cars behind it,was a empty covered hopper, was thrown up when it derailed and smashed top of cab in pretty bad.

Date: 09/14/08 22:48
Author: portlander

SantaFeRuss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Union Pacific is simply covering up the damage to
> the locomotive to protect the electronics and to
> possibly preserve any evidence. Not to cover up
> the logo.
>
>
> SantaFeRuss

I think the O.P. was referring to the paper covering the UP shield on the rear of the locomotive. Not the giant blue tarp. That is fairly self explanatory!

-p

Date: 09/15/08 12:43
Author: P5r24

Todd,

I have photos of this unit when it went by Strathern siding in west Simi.(un-covered)
I didn't post them here on T.O.(and won't).
Send me a private e-mail if you like?

P5r24

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.089 seconds