Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > IAIS QJ's next weekend (who's in ?)

Date: 10/11/08 18:52
IAIS QJ's next weekend (who's in ?)
Author: CCMF

We probably all know by now about the IAIS doubled-headed freight next Saturday and subsequent fund-raising excursions.

How many here are partaking in photography and/or rides ?

I can see this day being dangerous on the roads between Iowa City and the Q4's. Let's hope everyone behaves.

Date: 10/11/08 19:14
Re: IAIS QJ's next weekend (who's in ?)
Author: rehunn

Nah, no worse than when I was driving when all those bicyclists
were all over Boone!!

Date: 10/11/08 19:23
Author: bnsfjth

rehunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nah, no worse than when I was driving when all
> those bicyclists were all over Boone!!

RAGBRAI and a steam event are probably pretty good comparisons as to the level of stupidity shown on public roadways. At any rate I will not be heading towards Eastern Iowa, I've got tickets to the Iowa State-Nebraska game.

I was over in Newton where the QJ's are kept today. The tenders are outside with new IAIS logos. The engines themselves should look a little different too, but they were still tucked inside the shop building.

-Justin

Date: 10/11/08 19:26
Author: Mastadon

I'll be there in an undisclosed location for ONE good shot, then I will let the foamers bring havoc to the roads while I go after other attractions. Let's hope all involved know the meaning of photo lines, rules of Firsties, and just plain common courtesy.

-If you see a tan Tahoe with Illinois plates and a Mr. Boh sticker on the back, say Hi.

-Don Kalkman

PS, if you don't know Mr. Boh, you're not a Baltimoron. (Consider yourself lucky if you're not)...
Google it...

Date: 10/11/08 21:18
Author: chico

Its not the photolines that are dangerous, its the roads. I hope Iowa State Patrol is tipped off and out there in force, before someone gets killed out there. Just what the hobby needs after the Metrolink texting fiasco.

Me, I've got a funeral to go to in Chitown (Evanston) so I'll be looking at everyone else's shots.

edited to add: beware the lady that owns the property by the bridge at Moscow, she doesn't like foamers taking pics from her property.

Chico
http://www.heartlandrails.com

Date: 10/12/08 01:10
Author: QU25C

I may make the run down there. With the hours i am putting in i don't know if i will go or can.

Date: 10/12/08 14:11
Author: bnsfjth

On the subject, which consist of cars would you find more appealing to travel hundreds of miles to shoot and/or pay money ride?... I apologize in advance for the poor Photoshopping.

1) Cars in reality

2) Example of what I was dreaming about yesterday...

-Justin

Date: 10/12/08 16:02
Author: AndyBrown

Nice paint job Justin! If only they looked like that in real life.... I have to admit, those aren't the most attractive cars in the world, but hey, one of BN's ex-Transisco Tours "Franken-cars" is also supposed to be in the dinner train consist. I'm looking forward to seeing that train- Chinese steam engine, Powder River, and IAIS biz cars should make for an interesting consist!

Mrs. Brown and I have tickets for the dinner train, and Dad and I (Lord willing) will be on the Sun. morning trip to Iowa City.

Tickets aren't selling well for the latter two Silvis trips; I don't know if that means any changes operationally or not.

The highway bridge east of Durant is still closed and probably will be next weekend (projected opening date was "early November," unless they get it done early?), so that should slow traffic down. Or else make it that much crazier on the gravel detours.

The old lady at Moscow hasn't hassled me for a long time now. I get the idea that she no longer lives there. Regardless, she'd be no match for a gang of rabid steam chasin' railfans..... :-)

See ya'll next weekend!

Andy Brown

Date: 10/12/08 16:43
Author: Stevelton

Me and 2 other guys will be car pooling up there. We are going to chase from somewhere in Iowa to the quad, then a few of the passenger runs, then drive back home. I will probably have one of the radios on 146.520, like I normally do when running out of the area. Silver Dodge Grand caravan with 2 or 3 antennas and IL plates. See you there.
The thing that really bugs me is pacing. I like pacing the steamers too. But there are those that get right next to the loco when it parallels the highway and just stay there, not getting thier shots and moving on up to let someone else get their pacing shot. Those people are the ones that I remember so that down the road I step infront of their camara in the photo line...No, I wouldnt do that ,:(
Steven

Date: 10/12/08 18:37
Author: NDHolmes

I'll be out chasing most of the week - needed some time away from work anyway, and with the ES44s coming on line, I figure I better capture the last days of pure EMD power while I can. I also have tickets (along with my parents) on the dinner train, so I'll see you there if I don't run into you earlier, Andy.

Date: 10/12/08 21:02
Author: trainboy03

Thanks for the bridge tip east of Durant, Andy. That may make or break a shot or two I had planned. No doubt those girls will be running 40mph, so its going to be a tough chase either way.

My girlfriend and I have tickets on the 3pm run out to Walcott. Neither of us were too thrilled with the scenery out to Silvis and thought the view of the Mississippi would but worth the ticket price. The dinner train would be nice, but I just can't afford that in the college budget...

Erik

Date: 10/13/08 17:24
Author: howeld

A friend and I will be there for the run from Iowa City to Quad cities but we are heading west to Colorado after the run.

Date: 10/13/08 21:53
Author: agent1522

My fiance and I are flying from Seattle to Chicago Friday and driving to the Quad Ciities that night. We will be chasing the freight Saturday morning and riding the 1:00 train to Walcott, the 4:00 train to Silvis and the Dinner train. Sunday, my fiance will be riding the train back to Iowa City and I will be chasing. After the train arrives in Iowa City, we aren't sure what we will do, but we head back to Chicago Sunday afternoon for an early Monday flight back to Seattle.

Date: 10/15/08 11:08
Author: theironhorse

I'll be there!

The Iron Horse

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0615 seconds