Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Coors SW8 C991 Fresh Paint Loveland, CO

Date: 10/23/08 09:06
Coors SW8 C991 Fresh Paint Loveland, CO
Author: cozephyr

Coors Brewing Company (Golden, CO) SW-8 C991 (ex-Rock Island 839) was showing off new paint at Loveland, Colorado, October 22, 2008. Unit was involved in side swipe at Golden, CO, with a BNSF train earlier (April or May) 2008. Repairs and paint job appear nearing completion. The C991 entered Coors service February 1981 after work by Chrome Crankshaft at Silvis, IL.

Central Kansas Railway (CKRY) GP35 351 was getting sand blasted October 22, 2008 having returned from the Wichita, KS, area. Sorry to see this spiffy blue and white paint scheme come off.

Date: 10/23/08 09:53
Re: Coors SW8 C991 Fresh Paint Loveland, CO
Author: KoloradoKid

Nice new scheme for Coors. Stands out better than the older scheme, or at least seems to.

KK

Date: 10/23/08 10:43
Re: Coors SW8 C991 Fresh Paint Loveland, CO
Author: Jeff_Johnston

Darned if the backdrop to the first photo doesn't look like a page from the Walthers catalog!

Classic industrial structures.

Jeff Johnston

Date: 10/23/08 19:28
Sugar plant, Loveland, CO
Author: tvrha

Jeff_Johnston Wrote:
-----------------------------
> Classic industrial structures.

Speaking of which, aside from the tall silos [supposedly used for some bulk storage], any part of the brick structures in use? A decade or more ago, I recall a peek inside the old main building revealing a cavernous empty space. The long warehouse extension west was then inaccesible due to long lines of stored units awaiting refurbishment into the OmniTRAX fleet, thus piquing my curiosity concerning its contents (including the possibility of an as-yet unaccounted-for GW steam dinky ensconced therein).

Date: 10/23/08 21:19
Re: Sugar plant, Loveland, CO

Good question - I did not visit the buildings. I've noticed some are in very bad shape and their days would appear numbered.

Date: 10/24/08 05:48
Re: Sugar plant, Loveland, CO
Author: WAF

I see the old GW enginehouse is now gone if that's what that tall steel building is.

Western Sugar took all the useable machinery out of Loveland in the eighties, so they are empty just like the other GW buildings across the state. The silos are still used for storage and shipping of bulk sugar for White Satin Sugar Company, aka Amalagmated Sugar.

Date: 10/24/08 07:20
Great Western Locomotive Shop, Loveland, CO

Omnitrax built an extension to the west of the Great Western Railway locomotive shop. That's the new addition behind Coors Brewing Company C991. Omnitrax has increased their capabilities at Loveland. Locomotive work is still done but not on the scale it was done in the 1990's.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0743 seconds