Home Open Account Help 172 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Great corporate logos - Guardian UK

Date: 10/24/08 07:41
Great corporate logos - Guardian UK
Author: Waybiller

The Union Pacific shield is recognized as a great corporate logo by the Guardian media group.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2008/oct/24/union-pacific-railroad-design

Date: 10/24/08 08:31
Re: Great corporate logos - Guardian UK
Author: lizzard_45

Nice article. Even nicer that the UP photo that accompanies it was taken in Salt Lake, not Omaha.

PHL

Paul Liddiard
Spanish Fork, UT

Date: 10/24/08 09:13
Author: Ray_Murphy

The site has three other rail-related "classic design" entries: #13 (InterCity 125 trainsets), #33 (London Transport tube train) and #38 (BR Class 47 locomotive).

Ray

Date: 10/24/08 16:02
Author: SantaFeRuss

Very nice article. Too bad upper management at Burlington Northern Santa Fe did not have the forsight to keep the Santa Fe inspierd logo that has been around since the 1890's. "Santa Fe" was and to a smaller degree, still a household name in regards to railroads. I've talked to some non-railfan young people and they have heard of the Santa Fe Railway.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 10/24/08 19:51
Author: lowwater

SantaFeRuss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice article. Too bad upper management at
> Burlington Northern Santa Fe did not have the
> forsight to keep the Santa Fe inspierd logo that
> has been around since the 1890's. "Santa Fe" was
> and to a smaller degree, still a household name in
> regards to railroads. I've talked to some
> non-railfan young people and they have heard of
> the Santa Fe Railway.
>
There is a diner in New Castle, Colorado -- one of those faux-50s diners that was built about 10 years ago -- that is decorated with Elvis and Brando posters and other such items. Among them two enameled signs with Santa Fe locomotives, one an advertisement for Lionel, the other for The Chief. I don't recall any other rail-related items, I'll have to pay a little more attention the next time we're there.

Btw the ex-D&RGW UP Glenwood Springs Sub main line is about 100 yards away.....<g>

lowwater

Date: 10/25/08 03:48
Author: QU25C

SantaFeRuss Wrote:
> Too bad upper management at
> Burlington Northern Santa Fe did not have the
> forsight to keep the Santa Fe inspierd logo that
> has been around since the 1890's.
> SantaFeRuss

UP is still the UP, AT&SF is now the BNSF. I like the SF Logo, but the BN side wanted something that was new as its is a new RR not BN or SF.

Date: 10/25/08 08:21
Author: filmteknik

The article says the logo took its present form in 1950. Since we all know the logo is much older than that what changed in 1950? Is that when the "Overland" banner was dropped? When did "Railroad" disappear from the shield?

Date: 10/25/08 10:31
Author: stampedej

filmteknik Wrote:
> The article says the logo took its present form in
> 1950. Since we all know the logo is much older
> than that what changed in 1950? Is that when the
> "Overland" banner was dropped? When did
> "Railroad" disappear from the shield?

Go to the Union Pacific's website (uprr.com) and refer to the 'General Public' section. From there, continue to the 'History & Photos' section where you'll find the subtitle 'History of the Union Pacific Logo.' It's a great reference for the evolution of the shield from its beginning.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds